. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    As above, and also the collets.
    This place seems far cheaper than anywhere else, but it says only available when you purchase a machine...

http://www.prototools.co.uk/Kress_Mi...W_p_18538.html

Also, is this the best spindle in it's price range?

Thanks in advance...

Marchant Dice seem to have the Kress market sewn up. They also sell the collets.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlo View Post
    Marchant Dice seem to have the Kress market sewn up. They also sell the collets.
    I'd spotted them. Didn't realise they did sets of collets though - they're much better value. I think I'll need a 6mm, 1/4" and 1/8" collet.

Jonathan if you want to spend that sought of dough on a kress why not consider a Chinese spindle drive? much quieter and better choice of collets? feedback on these units have been very favorable on the net unless anybody else has experience with them?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Jonathan if you want to spend that sought of dough on a kress why not consider a Chinese spindle drive?
    I thought that would end up a lot more expensive for the spindle and driver? Just had a quick look and the cheapest I found was £250...maybe I'm missing them - please could you link me to the one you're thinking of?

Yes it would cost more but cheaper in the long run. Like a lot of people they use or buy a cheaper option to start with and end paying out again for something better....save your pennies? all good things come to those that wait :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Yes it would cost more but cheaper in the long run. Like a lot of people they use or buy a cheaper option to start with and end paying out again for something better....save your pennies? all good things come to those that wait :-)
    Hmm, I thought by getting a Kress spindle I would be getting the better option! At the moment I'm using a router that was £6 from the local car boot sale. I guess I'll have to try and save pennies...that's a LOT of pennies though. I got my milling machine for £300 and yet that spindle costs a similar amount, which is more useful...if only my student loan was bigger!
    Last edited by Jonathan; 27-12-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Very true....I paid £700 for my Bridgeport and then to date probably spent about another £1000 on tooling for it over the space of a year. I've brought it up a few times on here the about saving your pennies before rushing out to buy the first thing that comes along. It is very frustrating but it at leasts gives you time time whilst saving to make sure you spend your money wisely? at the end of the day yo have a working machine and router you can screw up whilst your getting used to it. I'm not saying a spindle drive is the best option as the kress gets good reviews but why have silver when you can have gold?

Jonathan http://www.cnc-plus.de/Spindles---Accessories/Spindles/

Its £128 inc vat plus shipping but i agree with 2e0poz that the Chinese spindle would be the better option in the long run.

Why, well the minimum speed is 5K on the Kress but i read on the zone of people using the Chinese spindle being used at 200 RPM

also the speed would be fully adjustable within Mach UNLIKE the Kress

Also a lot quieter than the Kress

Phil
    Last edited by M250cnc; 27-12-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    Why, well the minimum speed is 5K on the Kress but i read on the zone of people using the Chinese spindle being used at 200 RPM

also the speed would be fully adjustable within Mach UNLIKE the Kress

Also a lot quieter than the Kress
    Thanks for the link, though I think you've both persuaded me now. Persuaded me to wait at least.
    I'm not too bothered about <5000rpm as my brushless motor spindle will do up to 6000 at much higher power. Having said that I don't know what the runout will be like. Maybe I should make it, flog it and then buy the spindle you're suggesting.

What power rating do you think would be suitable? 1.5kw? I take it they're rated by input power, not output - if so what is the efficiency?

£700 for a Bridgeport sounds good. They had two at school (sold 1 last year ), no comparison between them and my milling machine...I'm jealous!

My mill was 300, plus 20 and 2 cups of tea for them to deliver it. Another 20 for a massive milling vice, and yes...lots lots more on tooling. Not bad considering it's £800 new:
    http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-local/...225C#aCMD1225C
    Last edited by Jonathan; 27-12-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information