. .
    Location unknown. RIM Basses Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6106 members to the community.
    Hi All,

Names Robbie from RIM Custom Basses, I build custom bass guitars and next year i will be looking into building my own custom cnc machine, in the next few months i want to try and design my template body designs into cad drawings. Ive had a go using the Rhino demo and to be honest im finding it quite hard.

Above are a few of my basses, as you can see its all curves and no straight edges, is it possible to maybe sketch the bass out on graph paper and enter the measurements into the cad software, and then form curves between the points.

help please

Robbie.

Take a photo (long lens, make sure you're square on, have a contrasting background), use Inkscape, import the image and trace it (http://inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html) then export as DXF and load into your favourite CAD package.

If you need sizes to be accurate, put a ruler or known size object in the photograph and resize to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    If you need sizes to be accurate, put a ruler or known size object in the photograph and resize to suit.
    I've done that sort of thing before. Maybe put two rulers, perpendicular, to get the scale exactly right/stop it skewing.

Using the above techniques you can do it directly in Rhino by using View/Background Bitmap/Place if you like. Results can be very good with a little practice. I'd recommend using the Interpolate point curve to do your tracing. Things like neck pockets, pickup cavities and other "exact" features should of course be done by direct CAD and not by tracing.
    This technique comes into it's own though when all you have is a photo. You however have the real mccoy to copy so you might consider waiting until you have your cnc and use edge/profile probing.

Cheers

Ian

Location unknown. RIM Basses Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6106 members to the community.
    Thanks for the advice guys, I will have a go at trying to upload image in Rhino, I would rather draw the shapes out but im just not good enough on the pc. The idea with the probe could be the best option. I have a local guy to me that makes radiators cover out of mdf, he said he will machine my designs as mock ups in the meantime before i get round to making my own machine. This way i can get everything in place.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Thread Information