. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi all this is my new project, iam making this as cheap as possible to get it up and running then when its all working iam going to use it to make a new plasma bed but better and bigger this one is only 4x3 but my next one will be 8x4.
    so far ive just made the bed and the gantry, the gantry has 2 bearing on the top of the box section and 1 on the bottom and 2 on the side. you cant reallly see from the pics but i will take some better ones as these was taken when it was dark.
    the gantry doesnt have any play in it so it should cut fine but i will have to wait and see.
    iam making it chain driven to keep it cheap and the controlers and motors iam buying off ebay as a kit so i dont have to mess about matching things together. heres a couple of pics i will post some more up this week.

sides of gantry but you cant see the side bearing

iam building this in my dads shed so there isnt much room as you can see lol, but it will be moved to my new shed when i get around to building it.next things to do are cut the plates down that hold the gantry as they are off cut plates so iam just using them as all the steel was free.
    and make the roller on the gantry that holds the plasma gun this bit should be fun lol.

looking forward to the vids mate, need help just ask on here. the world is at your finger tips :)

thanks guys its a big learning curve but its starting to come together i think the next big step is the software.a lot of people have said sheetcam is good. but i buy a lot of plasma cut stuff off a company at the moment so i might go and have a nose and so what they use lol.
    adam

Hi Adam,
    are you using adjustable bearings to take up any play in the frame? Also if you are going to use chains for the drive you will need to install an idler some where to take up the play or you will have huge amounts of backlash. Is this going to be a single side drive or twin side drive?

Regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Hi Adam,
    are you using adjustable bearings to take up any play in the frame? Also if you are going to use chains for the drive you will need to install an idler some where to take up the play or you will have huge amounts of backlash. Is this going to be a ,ingle side drive or twin side drive?

Regards

Ian
    hi ian
    the bearing are fixed type but i have sloted the holes in the side plates so i can slide them up to the box section, i was surprised at how tight i could get them to take the play out o the gantry. and because the top of the gantry is fixed with the welded bar for the gun to run on i have fitted a bar on the bottom between the plates so i can pull the bottom of the plates in a couple of mm to get the side bearing nice and tight on the box section.
    iam going to use twin chains on the main bed with a spockets each side with the chain fixed to the gantry, and the drive in the middle so it should keep the gantry nice and level. but for the gun holder on the gantry iam going to use a single chain because of the room factor and its a lot lighter with just the gun on it.
    backlash ????? i havent got a clue lol, i have a load of spockets but no chain i was going to buy some and test to see how much backlash the chain has then put the spockets the best way to minimize it.
    adam

Adam,
    I'm not quite sure what you have in mind for the chain drive but will see when you get some more photos posted.
    Be careful of how much tension you put on the side bearings. They should only really be just touching the rail to keep the gantry straight. If you tighten then up too much then you could smash the bearing or jam the machine when it tries to travel. This could happen because of the chain twin drive system. If both of the chains do not move exactly at the same time and speed then the gantry will slew.
    How accurate are you hoping your production parts will be?

I off to have a cry now. just came in from the new workshop that I am trying to get all my kit back into. I have stored all my stuff in the shed and just found my meddings drill head covered in water, ice and loads of rust. A length of flat bar had gone through the side of the roof vent and allowed water to run down it right into the drill head. A simple refit job has now turned into a restoration project.

Regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Adam,
    I'm not quite sure what you have in mind for the chain drive but will see when you get some more photos posted.
    Be careful of how much tension you put on the side bearings. They should only really be just touching the rail to keep the gantry straight. If you tighten then up too much then you could smash the bearing or jam the machine when it tries to travel. This could happen because of the chain twin drive system. If both of the chains do not move exactly at the same time and speed then the gantry will slew.
    How accurate are you hoping your production parts will be?

I off to have a cry now. just came in from the new workshop that I am trying to get all my kit back into. I have stored all my stuff in the shed and just found my meddings drill head covered in water, ice and loads of rust. A length of flat bar had gone through the side of the roof vent and allowed water to run down it right into the drill head. A simple refit job has now turned into a restoration project.

Regards

Ian
    dont laugh heres a quick pic i done in paint, do you think i will have probs with the chain like this. most ive seen have a loop on the gantry for the chain to run around but i havent seen many with chains on to have a good look.
    my dads sheds like a shower in there when it rains, i have a box of about 40 bearing and they all got wet :cry: but most was in plastic packets in there boxes so there ok.
    adam

just seen this on the tube i think i might have a go at doing the chain like this it seems nice and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-tDJAon3Ag&NR=1

9. you might want to look at this belt- and chain-drive plasma table... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETkf1sqo3M

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    you might want to look at this belt- and chain-drive plasma table... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vETkf1sqo3M
    thats just what ive been looking for he shows how all the bits working aswell.
    thanks adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information