. .

Thread: best drill bits

where can i buy a good drill bit set. i got one last week i paid 27 quid and its crap the drills are made from a shiny type black metal and they only last a few holes before i need to sharpen them.
    ive got old drill bits in my tool box ive had for about 4-8 years and there still going strong.
    but i was just after a nice set and a holder for them, ive got a alloy block ive drilled to hold bits bit it doesnt fit in my tool box when i go on site for a job.
    the set i bought had about 15 bits in from 1mm-13mm
    adam

Dormer drills are quite good.
    Cobalt drills are better if you want to pay the extra for them.
    Using a good quality cutting fluid or oil will make them cut better and last longer.
    If you are after any larger drills from maybe 10 to 20mm I will have a few morse taper ones for sale in a short while when I sort out my new workshop.
    Also keep the speed of the drill down, helps the cut and extends the life of the drill bit.

Ian
    Last edited by Web Goblin; 31-12-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Guhring and Titex are other quality brands to look for. TiN coating will give longer life and better swarf clearance but obviously at higher cost.

£27 for a smallish set should of been reasonable quality,as has been said Guhring,Titex or Dormer are the way to go ,Cobalt drills are more expensive but doesnt always mean they are better,303 stainless for instance drills much better with straight HSS than it does cobalt.Looking on the bay a decent set of dormer is quite expensive Trade prices are much less but there again I normally only buy single sizes.
    Last edited by swarfy; 01-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    If you are after any larger drills from maybe 10 to 20mm I will have a few morse taper ones for sale in a short while when I sort out my new workshop.
    Let me know when you've sorted them...I may well be interested. Can never have enough different size drills.

Thread Information