. .

Thread: Starmill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    I know what you mean about the dripfed bbc. Mach3 will bring that machine back to life, and i can help you if you go down that route.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starmill 001.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	3543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starmill front.jpg 
Views:	1466 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	3542You are very kind. I will certainly be picking your brains ! Shame you live so far away. I have now got correct info regarding year of manufacture. Feb 1988 serial 280361 24v control .3hp .22kw Dc ph main spindle motor.

The control systems I have been considing are Gecko 540 or something from Alex Mackinnon of Conquerer design as per a recommendation regarding after market support. But I am very open to suggestions. I won't say that money is no object but I want to get this right.
    Best Regards. Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gravett View Post
    The control systems I have been considing are Gecko 540 or something from Alex Mackinnon of Conquerer design as per a recommendation regarding after market support. But I am very open to suggestions. I won't say that money is no object but I want to get this right.
    Best Regards. Phil.
    I have used a system from Alex Mackinnon, it would be the biggest mistake you ever made to use his stuff.

Phil

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    all you need is a spindle board and a breakout board, and a buffer for each step and direction signal.

Ok. The spindle is for the spindle on/off and speed yes? breakout for going between computer input and stepper drives? what is buffer for? Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gravett View Post
    Ok. The spindle is for the spindle on/off and speed yes? breakout for going between computer input and stepper drives? what is buffer for? Phil.
    Yes the spindle board controls the on/off of the motor and the varaible speed. Most dc spindle drives use a 0-10v signal to control the speed and a board like the v3 by diycnc fits the bill. The buffer is used to convert the 5v control logic of the computer to the 12v control logic of the parker stepper drives.

Ok. Been on Diycnc. looked at V3 also looked at OPPBV2 Paralell board. This lookes useful as it has Usb. I assume this takes place of buffer. I should be able to link this to existing driver boards and V3 using existiing psu, plug in a usb computer and suitable software. ? I have Bobcad which I bought in a rash moment and never used. Am I on the right track ? Phil.

The parker cd20/30 drives you have in the starmill have 12v logic circuits, and all modern circuits use 5v logic. So you need a simple circuit to convert the 5v to 12v, this is shown on the denford website somewhere, and is basically an npn transistor and a resistor.

This is the buffer.

here you go, courtesy of DavidIMurray(legend)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digiplan%20Interface.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	3545

Thanks for that attachment. I assume I would need 3 of these. One for each drive. I did actually do a search for buffer, 12v/5v converter and kept coming back to Diycnc OPPV2 which seems to provide control of spindle and 12v for drives.
    http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/oppb.html Am I barking up wrong tree or just barking. Phil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information