. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, Used to work in a tool room years ago on an HCT but moved away from engineering things some 20 odd years ago. The Hardinge was so good i could not think of having any other lathe.

Just got an hlv to play with. unfortunately its a 440v 3 phase and i only have 240v single phase uk.

I am looking for a cheap way to get it up and running. I don't want to re-configure any of the internal wiring as i want to eventually restore it and want to keep it in an much of an “as built condition” if possible.
    I was thinking about making a rpc with a step up transformer from Airlink, They do a 240v to 415v from stock but i am waiting for a quote on a 240v to 440v custom one, It also seems i need a neutral to run the feed control?

Ii was thinking if i wired the idler motor in a star config this may provide what i am looking for. I already have the idler motor which says its a 2.5Kw 440v to 480v Y. Am I on the right track or am i talking rubbish?

I could do with it running asap as i need to make some bits for a biodiesel processor i am making , I was just going to put the transformer output on the idler motor and connect to the lathe, when i have a bit more time I want to refine the rpc design to get it a bit more balanced, I only need to make a few small items from brass so no big cutting loads, I don’t even need the feed to be working for these bits but if possible it would be nice.
    Seems I have rambled on enough for my first post and if anyone is still awake and can offer any input on what I am trying to do it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Vince
    Last edited by irving2008; 09-01-2011 at 12:48 AM.

2. Hi Vince and welcome to the site. Never played with an rpc, I'd always go for a VFD, but I'm sure others have done so. We have a couple of Hardinge owners on here...

Hi Vince nice to see another local, as Irving says go wit the VFD. I'm in the middle of wiring up my 3HP 3 phase lathe at the moment myself with one. Don't be afraid to change the wiring either as if you sell the lathe later will probably go to another home user and they will want 240v. Your existing motor will probably be able to be wired to Delta as well.

Paul
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Vice i have a VFD on my lathe but if i had to do it again i would go for an ac servo motor

You will still have speed control but full power from 0 RPM to full speed i know that may be slightly untrue technically

You would also have the ability to do rigid tapping as and when software allows it

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    You will still have speed control but full power from 0 RPM to full speed i know that may be slightly untrue technically
    If you want high torque at low rpm then best to leave it in Wye...or have a switch to change between that and delta if you're really keen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If you want high torque at low rpm then best to leave it in Wye...or have a switch to change between that and delta if you're really keen.
    A servo motor on the spindle means it can be used as a rotary axis.

A VFD cannot do that delta or otherwise.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    A servo motor on the spindle means it can be used as a rotary axis.

A VFD cannot do that delta or otherwise.
    I'm not sure how quoting me was relevant there!
    I'd really like to get a servo for that reason, but it's far too much money.

I'm not sure how quoting me was relevant there!
    I'd really like to get a servo for that reason, but it's far too much money.
    Jonathan i made a valid point of the added benefits of a servo motor namely Zero to full speed with full torque

You came back with a statement that a VFD could do that in delta mode well it can't run that way and a VFD motor combo certainly cant run as a rotary axis

So why did you quote me ?

Take a look at this video http://www.onecnc.net/videos/video_mill_turn.htm

Phil

how you could do rigid tapping without a VFD...
    With a VFD even! Lets hope I start thinking by 9am tomorrow :)
    Last edited by Jonathan; 09-01-2011 at 11:56 PM.

I misread your post, I didn't see the word 'servo'! I did wonder how you could do rigid tapping without a VFD...

Best not make reading mistakes like that in my exams tomorrow!

Nice video by the way...
    Better get your haircut before you go then.

Re the video we can only dream.

Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information