. .

Thread: Beta Testing??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good evening all,

Just a question before I go ahead an upset people. We are working on some new products (Drives, controllers etc) and are looking how best to get people to beta test them for us.

When the time is right, would it be acceptable to post asking if anyone would be interested in assisting with our beta testing (Free stuff for feedback and reviews/comparisons), or would this break the forum rules?

These will in the end be commercial products.

Regards

James
    (on behalf of work this time)

Assuming this isn't against the forum rules...then yes I'm certainly up for testing products! You can see from my build log that I've got most probably the necessary to do it thoroughly...

Just noticed the next post mentions a bit of background...
    I'm studying (well I was until I signed in here!) Electronic Engineering if that's any help.

(333rd post, nice number)
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2011 at 11:06 PM.

don't know about the forum rules
    but I'll happily throw my hat in the ring as a beta tester

got electronics as well as software background
    used to run a software company so know about testing too!
    there are 10 sorts of people in the world
    them as understand binary
    and thems as doesn't

I,m just in the process of bulding my cnc router but I would love to test some new stuff particluarly software.

Ian

Thanks for the response guys... on other thing, if anyone, or a group of people have a need for a certain project, we may be willing to look at producing something to solve a specific problem.... any ideas very welcome, We generally into hardware with software, however an particular software request maybe considered.. of course price pint is allways a thing... and of course if we produce a product we will advertise through the correct channels on mycncuk.com....

James

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybristol View Post
    Good evening all,

Just a question before I go ahead an upset people. We are working on some new products (Drives, controllers etc) and are looking how best to get people to beta test them for us.

When the time is right, would it be acceptable to post asking if anyone would be interested in assisting with our beta testing (Free stuff for feedback and reviews/comparisons), or would this break the forum rules?

These will in the end be commercial products.

Regards

James
    (on behalf of work this time)
    James,

I have no issue with a call for beta testers on the forum. I dont regard that as advertising per se (marketing yes, for those that want to quibble the difference). Indeed, other forums I belong to have a long history of beta testing new products with knowledgable and enthusiastic members.

All we ask (and I include this purely for the information of others) is that it is a true beta test. I have drafted the following 'rules' as guidelines...
    1. The product must not yet be commercially available;
    2. There must be a reasonable number of testers (I'm happy to debate the meaning of 'reasonable number', but its more than 1);
    3. Testers may use a single thread on the forum to discuss their beta testing and compare notes, and the Supplier recognises that such feedback may contain commercially sensitive information which will be in the public domain;
    4. Reviews and comparisons made during the beta test with other vendor's products must be fair and verifiable and based on the tester's own personal experiences;
    5. MYCNCUK does not require Suppliers to offer any incentive to beta testers;
    6. The use of the forum by Suppliers to support beta testing does not constitute an endorsement of the Supplier's products or services by MYCNCUK;
    7. Notwithstanding any of the above, Suppliers may not advertise their products on MYCNCUK unless they have formally entered into an advertising arrangement with MYCNCUK.
    On point 5.... this doesnt prevent Suppliers offering discounts or other incentives as is often seen as normal practice, it just means it is at the Suppliers discretion, as are future discounts to forum members.

regards,
    Irving...

Thanks for the response guys... on other thing, if anyone, or a group of people have a need for a certain project, we may be willing to look at producing something to solve a specific problem.... any ideas very welcome, We generally into hardware with software, however an particular software request maybe considered.. of course price pint is allways a thing... and of course if we produce a product we will advertise through the correct channels on mycncuk.com....
    no disrespect but the reason i joined this forum was to thrash out "for free" problems projects ideas etc
    after all, most of us have built cnc machines instead of bying one off the shelf, its a lot cheaper and more fun than getting you to build it for us
    you are asking to be paid to do what the rest of the members are doing for fun or for some other reason that doesnt involve making a living off each other, id be elswhere otherwise :)

Mark,

I agree but you look around this site and there are 100's of products that are used that are made by other people, the vast majority from china and the like. The reason for my question was that I hoped to be able to help some of you build machines, while we get some in field testing under our belts as well as honest (and we want honest) feed back. In the end this may offer you and others "that do this for fun" that ability to make machines, that are as good, but with some local support, and the opportunity to influence the products. I also have a strong belief that business in the UK can make good well priced products, if the company looks to make a reasonable margin and offer good discounts to people. Making 100 off of something is a hell of a lot cheaper than making 1 off.

The rules are clear, as stated by Irving above, I think that they seem fair.... If on the other hand no one here is interested in the oppourtunity to test what we offer, then I will seek another forum that may be more supportive of my aims. On the other hand, I can not force people to take part in the beta testing, and you do not have to read the posts related to such if you do not desire.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybristol View Post
    Mark,

I agree but you look around this site and there are 100's of products that are used that are made by other people, the vast majority from china and the like. The reason for my question was that I hoped to be able to help some of you build machines, while we get some in field testing under our belts as well as honest (and we want honest) feed back. In the end this may offer you and others "that do this for fun" that ability to make machines, that are as good, but with some local support, and the opportunity to influence the products. I also have a strong belief that business in the UK can make good well priced products, if the company looks to make a reasonable margin and offer good discounts to people. Making 100 off of something is a hell of a lot cheaper than making 1 off.

The rules are clear, as stated by Irving above, I think that they seem fair.... If on the other hand no one here is interested in the oppourtunity to test what we offer, then I will seek another forum that may be more supportive of my aims. On the other hand, I can not force people to take part in the beta testing, and you do not have to read the posts related to such if you do not desire.

M
    sorry ..

My view, it seems a few people share it, and maybe a few disagree.... I am here and so what I do as I really enjoy it, my hobby is my work and my work is my hobby.

James

james, i hear what you are saying however my experience of this forum so far has been one of open discusion and sharing of knowledge without the hassle of comercial tip toeing
    many of us could not build machines without that pooled knowledge
    people have developed ideas openly on the forum then offerd to make a batch if there was any interest or we could simply copy the design and make our own
    i suspect you will not be developing your designs in a build log and sharing the love :)

yes 100's of products come from elswhere, this infomation is also "shared" on the forum, if one of your products was a bobby dazzler of a job and i was using it id share that info from a detached un-biasd point of view

i may well be way off the mark, if i am you will have to forgive me :) i can be cynical and im only exspressing my opinion

love love love
    blackburn mark xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information