. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,
    I have been looking thrugh Google trying to see what spindle motors are available at a resonable cost.
    Would anyone like to comment on what spindle motors they use and how good they are?
    I will be machining soft and hard woods, plastics and would also like to do aluminium sometimes.
    I have had a look at the Kress models, ELTE and a couple of the chinese brand VFDs. Have I missed any?
    I have also been thinking about making a belt driven spindle but trying to find a high speed servo might not be too easy or cheaply I might add.

Regards

Ian

have a look at my build log, iv made three to cover the whole speed range, they are not full proven (bearing life etc) but they do work quite well and are easy and cheap to make
    jonathan may at some point work out an interface with mach for these type of spindles

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    have a look at my build log, iv made three to cover the whole speed range, they are not full proven (bearing life etc) but they do work quite well and are easy and cheap to make
    jonathan may at some point work out an interface with mach for these type of spindles
    I'd forgotten about that, sorry! I will look into doing it again with that servo controller soon.

I've got a bit closer with my brushless motor spindle. The chuck and ER16 collets finally arrived yesterday.
    (Edit - if you saw the comment with regard to running it from VFD ignore it)

Still got to get a 12s 100A ESC for it and something to power it. Best I've got is a 6s 100a and 24v 92Ah VRLA battery. That'll get 3000rpm - so enough for some things.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.

I'd forgotten about that, sorry! I will look into doing it again with that servo controller soon.
    dont flapp about it jonathan, like i said, when it comes up on your list of stuff to do that will be soon enough :)
    iv been using my larger spindle to fly cut, loving it :)
    i use all three spindles at diffrent times, im well chuffed with them

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    i use all three spindles at diffrent times, im well chuffed with them
    At different times, you're not really trying :lol: get them all cutting at the same time! Would be amazing for making lots of identical parts (PCBs), and actually affordable.

6. Spindle motors are they expensive. I recently looked at straight shaft collet shafts £20 with a view to belt drive from a variable speed 1 hp washing machine motor www.calenterprises.co.uk/speed.html

7. Recently I've made myself new spindle. two taper bearings, ER20 shaft, belt and motor. cheap and very good solution. You can see it at http://malamuterun.co.uk/homemade_cnc_mill_spindle.htm . Maybe this will help a bit

It looks like you're only stopping the shaft of that spindle from moving axially with a grubscrew. Are you sure that's strong enough? Might be difficult to preload the bearings with that arrangement.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It looks like you're only stopping the shaft of that spindle from moving axially with a grubscrew. Are you sure that's strong enough? Might be difficult to preload the bearings with that arrangement.
    Jonathan there is two grub screws and I used Truloc shaft retainer as well both on shaft collar and the top bearing. But the forces act on shaft up the spindle or sideways, but not down(trying to tear the shaft off from the spindle, if I can put it in this way). So far it worked well for quite few hours with no problems at all. If something changes I'll post info asap

I have had a look at various bearings for making a high speed spindle and they cost a small fortune. I can get a set of 15000rpm bearings for £40 for 4 so I might go that way and give it a try.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information