. .
    Im just about to connect my stppers to my drivers, but am not sure what is what as the connections are labled 1a 1b 2a 2b, how does this relate to a+ a- b+ b-. the instructions say "First phase connected between 1A and 1B
    and the second phase connected between 2A and 2B".

Thanks

You need to connect one par of coils (or phase) between 1a and 1b and the other to 2a/b. Whether or not you put the coils in series or parallel depends on your drivers/motor. If the a+ and a- are your motor wires(?) then they connect to 1a/b on the driver (doesn't matter which way round, that only reverses the motor rotation direction).

If you're not sure then post what motors and drivers you have so I can help you more precisely.

Hi, thanks for reply, im pretty sure i know what you mean but i have sigma 8 wire motors which i have wired in parallel, to give me a+-b+- and these boards http://www.routoutcnc.com/10asingle.html .

Quote Originally Posted by speedhound View Post
    Hi, thanks for reply, im pretty sure i know what you mean but i have sigma 8 wire motors which i have wired in parallel, to give me a+-b+- and these boards http://www.routoutcnc.com/10asingle.html .
    Current isn't a problem with those drivers I see. Shame about the voltage being so low.

If you've allready wired the motors in parallel you can't really go wrong :)

yeh i went with the higher amps as the motors need about 8 or 9 i have been told and they are geared 1 to 1 so they need plenty of tourqe, but speed is not a great concern of mine so hopefully it should be ok.

Thanks

I'm guessing they must be nema34 then? Do you have a link to the datasheet out of interest?

They are old nema 42s, sorry no data but 34s are more powerful as they have better magnets than the old 42s

They are old nema 42s, sorry no data but 34s are more powerful as they have better magnets than the old 42s
    Are they off a bridgeport interact series 1? I saw some of those cheap a while ago but wasn't sure...

Its an early Bridgeport BOSS they are fitted with steppers but the later ones had servos

but speed is not a great concern of mine so hopefully it should be ok.
    In this case it's worth trying serial rather than parallel

Thread Information