. .
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I had finished connecting up my cooler last night and did the first version of my interlock circuit between the pump flow switch and the vfd. The circuit worked fine so I decided to run the pump and check it all out properly. So connected up the 110V supply to the relay and turned the pump on. The pump ran great for about 5 seconds then burnt out! I cant see any reason for it so it looks like I just have a bad one. I need to get this repaired before I can get anything else done.

Ian

That's a shame, what pump was it? Something like this one would be more than adequate to replace it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Submersibl...ht_2753wt_1139

Its a Shurflo pump. The good thing about it is that its Americam made and still available. I have disconnected the cooler from the machine and am going to take it to work tomorrow for a bit of surgery.

Ian

Ian How stable is your gantry ??

I've only just seen you CNC Machine looks good

If you had to start again would you do anything different ??

James

James.
    the gantry seems stable enough but I have not actually cut anything with the machine yet.. I have had some problems with the USBCNC software and hardware and cant get any feedback from the supplier. He doesnt want to answer emails so I had had to try to sort them out myself. I think I have most of the problems sorted but time will tell I suppose. My workshop pc died as well and it took a couple of weeks to get another. I had gotten hold of a Lincoln Electric welding torch cooler to use as a cooler for the spindle but this had quite a few problems as well so it has now been scrapped.
    I dont know if I would change anything yet except the Z axis screw. I am currently using an acme screw but I think it would be much better with a ballscrew. I may change this in the future. I also have an extra section of alu extrusion to fit across the front of my gantry but this has not been installed yet until I see how the machine runs without it. If there is any play in the gantry I will fit it.

A picture of the lincoln cooler is below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0096.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	4416

After powering this unit up I found the motor only ran for a few seconds then died.
    I stripped the motor down to find the brush gear had collapsed and part of the brush holder had vanished.

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	4419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	4418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	4417
    The comm is badly carboned up and needed a good clean.

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	4421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	4420

It turned out fine after a good clean up as did the motor casing and permanent magnet.
    The motor was re-assembled with new brushes and springs and seems to be running ok.
    I have decided to make a new cooler unit from scratch using some of the parts from the old cooler.
    I have fabricated a new tank from 3mm stainless steel. Then fitted the pump.

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	4423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0018.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	4422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0019.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	4424

As usual just need some more time to get it finished and tested now.

Ian

ok

but can I ask a question

what is wrong with a plastic box and a pond pump delivering 1000l/m ??

James

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    what is wrong with a plastic box and a pond pump delivering 1000l/m ??
    There is nothing wrong with that setup as far as I know. I'm using an extremely small pond pump that is probably less than 1l/m. Before I had an 8l/m pump and that was plenty...I would say that overkill is good to be safe, but if you're transferring the heat away fast enough anyway then all a bigger pump achieves is to heat the water up more itself. Pond pumps, such as this one (which is plenty), are also brushless:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-P...#ht_2736wt_905
    These spindles don't need much cooling as most of the time we're operating them at nowhere near full power/speed and they are inherently quite efficient so the heat generated is not that great. This means that especially if you use a metal container the natural conduction of heat into the atmosphere is enough to keep it stable as long as you have a reasonable amount of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    There is nothing wrong with that setup as far as I know. I'm using an extremely small pond pump that is probably less than 1l/m. Before I had an 8l/m pump and that was plenty...I would say that overkill is good to be safe, but if you're transferring the heat away fast enough anyway then all a bigger pump achieves is to heat the water up more itself. Pond pumps, such as this one (which is plenty), are also brushless:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-P...#ht_2736wt_905
    These spindles don't need much cooling as most of the time we're operating them at nowhere near full power/speed and they are inherently quite efficient so the heat generated is not that great. This means that especially if you use a metal container the natural conduction of heat into the atmosphere is enough to keep it stable as long as you have a reasonable amount of water.
    You dont need high flow or pressure just good head height. . . . The thing to watch with these pumps is the Head height, this pump can only pump 1.85mtr max which if like me your using the simple pump in a tank under the machine then it's not quite enough. Even thou they say it will pump 1.85 meters this a max and puts the pump under too much stress if run for long periods. Try to aim for one in the 3mtr range and you wont have any trouble, mine's been going now for 3 yrs with out trouble and it's 2.5mtr head height. I've just bought a spare 24v 3mtr head height off ebay thou because it's starting to struggle so time to retire it to just pumping coolant on my lathe.!!

Personally I wouldnt use a pond pump. I dont think they like being turned on and off lots. They also like to be run with full bore pipe work to match their outlet size. I used to run the pond pump during the day and turn it off at night and I had also reduced the pipe size. The pump lasted about 2 years. I installed a Titan pump using 50mm bore pipe and it runs constantly. Only gets turned off about 4 times a year for cleaning. Its been going for about 5 years now.
    As for a 1000l/m pump I seriously dont think you will get anything like that flow rate through the spindle.
    As Jonathan has said the stainless steel box I have made will act as a good heat sink and will hold around 10 litres of water so should do the job fine.

Are there any plans to put anything in with the water (antifreeze? coolant additive? etc)
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information