. .
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    After a few weeks of going backwards I now have a working coolant pump.
    The flow switch works well and the interlock for preventing the spindle from running without coolant is working as well.
    Now for some well deserved lubricant

Ian

Congrats.!!. . .sounds like you have earned a few squirts of lubricant.

Here are a couple of pictures of the cooler unit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	4443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	4442

Just to add this will probably hold around 25 litres and not 10 like I said in an earlier post. Got my sums a bit wrong.
    I have made a little control unit with a couple of switches, an estop and a pot for controlling the speed of the spindle. I need to have a read through the VFD manual now to see what to set up for it to take an external input for start/stop and speed control.

Ian

Looks good. I could do with a box like that to put a coolant pump I acquired in.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I need to have a read through the VFD manual now to see what to set up for it to take an external input for start/stop and speed control.
    Should be able to do it with the input the pot uses. Substitute the pot for the parallel port pin and use PWM output in mach. I'd put a capacitor (and possibly resistor in parallel) at the VFD from that pin to ground to smooth the PWM. It's all in the manual... you can do it with digital inputs but you probably wont have enough I/O on the parallel port to do that.

Jonathan,
    I am using USBCNC which does have a pwm output as well but at the moment I prefer to have a manual adjustment via a pot. Maybe later on when I get more used to USBCNC I will connect it to the pwm output. Looking at the manual I have 4 or 5 settings to change to get the vfd to work on an external input. I might get a chance to give this a try tomorrow night.

Ian

I did buy once a new tank and pump for my lath and I'm sure that would work very well

only because the one that came with the machine didn't work and at the time it was cheaper to buy a separate unit

James

James,
    a lathe coolant system will work perfectly well for your spindle.
    Jonathan,
    have you wired up a seperate start switch for your vfd such as via a relay or switch rather than using the controls on the front of the vfd?
    I was trying to get the multi function inputs to work fpr direction selection and start function. I have linked DCM to REV and wired DCM to FOR via a relay. Set PD001 to 1 for external control, PD044 to 2 or 3 for direction. The VFD wont accept the start command and also wont change direction regardless of setting 2 or 3 in PD044. I get the feeling I have missed something.

Ian

James,
    a lathe coolant system will work perfectly well for your spindle.
    Yep, but if it was me I'd use it to provide coolant for what I'm cutting on the router as I mainly use the router for aluminium. The annoying bit is how to make a coolant tray which includes a sacrificial bed? I guess I need to find a metal tray with decent height sides and maybe a suitably impervious bed.

Jonathan,
    have you wired up a seperate start switch for your vfd such as via a relay or switch rather than using the controls on the front of the vfd?.
    I just use the controls on the front.

Have you checked the voltage on the relevant signal terminals?

This is the manual I used, might be different to yours:

http://www.jinlantrade.com/ebay/invertermanual.pdf

Jonathan,
    I have been off reading a rather long thread on Huanyang vfds on a woodworking forum. I think what I have setup should be working. I do need to change a few more parameters to get full speed from my 10K pot though.

Ian

Managed to get full speed control via my speed pot on my control box up to 400Hz.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0024.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	4457
    I needed to alter another setting on the vfd. I also have start/stop control working via USBCNC now as well. All I need to do is manually select the Coolant flow icon on USBCNC first then the program will start and stop the VFD.:dance:

What I need to do now is calibrate the travel distance of my Z axis and then I should be ready for a test cut.

Ian

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information