. .
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    I have posted a video of it in action on youtube. Link attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbBjttEyDQw

Nice that Ian, are you going to change the script to touch down faster.?
    I've set mine up so does a double touch 300mm/min first then retracts few mill's, can't remember what I set it at without checking, then does slow 75mm/min for accurate touch off in case over shoot. . . . . Works very good and one of the best things I've added to machine.

Nice indeed. Can you link me to the switch you used? I had not considered using a switch, only measuring resistance. I thought at one point of using a piece of PCB as the contact as then if something goes wrong the PCB is weak (as long as it's not FR4) and will break instead of the cutter.

Have you checked the repeatability?

Your spindle mount looks a tad flimsy to me ... only one support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Nice indeed. I thought at one point of using a piece of PCB as the contact as then if something goes wrong the PCB is weak (as long as it's not FR4) and will break instead of the cutter.
    Jonathan PCB works great thats what I use for quick top surface setting, very easy very quick and super accurate. . . . Doesn't even leave a mark on the cooper. You won't belive how sensitive it is.

Brilliant when combined with edge,corner and centre probing routines save hours of setting up time. Just the top of surface alone is worth the effort. . . All 5 mins it takes to make. . .:tup:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Doesn't even leave a mark on the cooper. You won't belive how sensitive it is.
    That's mildly surprising. Maybe the electrons tunnel across the gap :heehee:
    If I put an op-amp in between it could be incredibly sensitive, though that may not be a good thing. Combine it with averaging of the readings ... assuming the difference is actually greater than the resolution.

Jonathan,
    the link to the switch is : http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-b...tches/7082967/ Its a bit expensive but I chose it to take a bit of punisment.

I checked the switch a few times with my digital vernier and repeatability is within 0.3mm so its not too bad. I had also looked at making a voltage touch probe like Jazzcnc is talking about, that might be version 2 if I can get my hands on some solid clear perspex square bar or similar. The spindle mount is 25mm thick alu so its stronger than it looks but I have started on making another two to replace that one to strengthen it up.
    The head comes down quickly until 20mm above the estimated tool block, depending on the guess value you input into the tool database, then slows down to touch speed.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post

I checked the switch a few times with my digital vernier and repeatability is within 0.3mm so its not too bad.

That wouldn't do for me.!! . . . 0.3mm is far too much for my liking.! . . . I would want 0.1 at the very very least.
    My first thought when seen you where using a switch was it wouldn't be quick enough and your measurements backs that up.

Try pcb and you'll see what I mean by super sensitive, accurate and repeatable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I am going to try the tool measurement routine a few times and see what it says. It might come out better than that. If not I can always make a voltage touch one.

Right I decided that I had to have a go at aluminium, just couldnt resist the urge!.
    I made up a dxf through autocad for a box drilling jig for some welding test boxes that I make.
    The material is 10mm thick alu and I used a 3/16 end mill, didnt have a 5mm one, I need to build up my cutting tool supplies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0034.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	4557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0036.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	4556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0035.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	4555

Admittedly I did forget about the top face of the jig, at the moment I am still too used to programming for profile cutting. This would have looked better with a bit of a clean up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0037.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	4558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0038.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	4559
    The box lid to be drilled and it fits snugly inside the jig.
    All in all I am quite pleased with my first alu job. For using an old cutter and for a first attempt I'm a happy chappy.
    I have also done a bit of video for parts of the cut and hopefully after my little gilrs 5th birthday party this afternoon I might get it loaded up to youtube.

Regards

Ian

Links to some video of the first alu job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNmolGdUJ0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3agFg5x53JY

Regards

Ian

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information