. .
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I will probably add some anti-freeze when winter arrives. It was baltic up here last year ( had about 150mm thick ice on top of my pond ) and my workshop is only heated when I'm in it. I have some good anti-freeze somewhere that doesnt attack copper or aluminium or nylon/plastic tubing.

Ian

2. Is CH water pump any good for coolant?
    I assume coolant is filtrated and free from magnetic metal bits. There is no brushes in a motor so it should last ages I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I will probably add some anti-freeze when winter arrives. It was baltic up here last year ( had about 150mm thick ice on top of my pond ) and my workshop is only heated when I'm in it. I have some good anti-freeze somewhere that doesnt attack copper or aluminium or nylon/plastic tubing.

Ian
    Use Distilled water with a Good quality anti freeze and you wont have any trouble. It was -12 in my workshop last year and my 25ltr barrel of water didn't feeze and it's sat directly on the concrete floor.
    Thou must say I pritty much used it every day (YES worked thru it. .Tough breed up here.!!! ) so the water was never left undisturbed for long periods, So if your not going to use it for weeks on end then I'd recommend you drain the system just in case we have another artic winter. . . . . . Oh and the water is the same original water I started with 3+ years ago with no nasty's or funny smells, the fact It's distilled water and it's a sealed dark container that no direct sun light can get to helps (No windows in my shop).

Not sure how good a central heating pump would be. You would be reducing its normal flow rate down alot but most of them have adjustable speeds so you could slow it down a bit.
    Jazzcnc. I am using distilled water. Normal water just causes too many problems.
    "No windows in your shop" Does it have bars where the door should be?:lol:

Ian

Not sure how good a central heating pump would be. You would be reducing its normal flow rate down alot but most of them have adjustable speeds so you could slow it down a bit.
    Jazzcnc. I am using distilled water. Normal water just causes too many problems.
    "No windows in your shop" Does it have bars where the door should be?:lol:

Ian
    Yes and my overalls have nice stripes on them. .:whistling:

Seriously thou I do have a great big steel door with no windows. . . And even that doesn't stop the scum bags.
    A few months ago my workshop was broken into but thank fully we caught one of them.! . . wont go into details but lets just say we got the stuff back and real justice was served. .

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You dont need high flow or pressure just good head height. . . .
    I compensated for that by putting the tank of water on a shelf at about the same height as the spindle.

As for a 1000l/m pump I seriously dont think you will get anything like that flow rate through the spindle.
    I think Luke meant 1000 litres per hour...

Use Distilled water. . . Oh and the water is the same original water I started with 3+ years ago with no nasty's or funny smells, the fact It's distilled water and it's a sealed dark container that no direct sun light can get to helps (No windows in my shop).
    I don't think distilled (or more likely de-ionised) water is required if, as you have done, you don't change the water. Once the water has deposited the calcium carbonate there is nothing more to deposit - it's essentially de-ionised. That does to an extent depend on the volume of water you are using (and where you live) as clearly if you have a 1000 litre tank there are a lot of ions it there to start with, and vice versa.

A few months ago my workshop was broken into but thank fully we caught one of them.! . . wont go into details but lets just say we got the stuff back and real justice was served. .
    I take it you signed the relevant petition then recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

I take it you signed the relevant petition then recently.
    Nope.!!. . . but I dont know what petition you mean anyway. Thou would a petition really stop the scum bags .?? Me thinks not.!

Jazzcnc,
    I hope they learned their lesson.
    Jonathan,
    the problem with using water is that bacteria can grow in it quite well. Distilled water is a better option for long term. I have been to several factories in the past where they were too tight to buy distilled water or the correct coolant for their machines and eventually the bacteria hard grown into a type of algae or fungus and it blocks up the pipework. This usually meant an expensive repair for the customer.
    We use distilled water for coolant on our Co2 Laser at work but we also add 1ltr of an anti bacteria agent to kill anything that might decide to grow in the coolant. This amounts to a 1% mix and the whoile system is drained and refilled with new coolant once a year.
    A few years ago I miscalculated the amount of antifreeze required for the system and put in too much. Not quite sure what chemical reaction took place but the coolant mix started to turn to a gel. Right PITA is was to clean out. Now we go for about a 15% mix in winter time.

Jonathan,
    the problem with using water is that bacteria can grow in it quite well. Distilled water is a better option for long term.
    I didn't mean just use tap water - that would be rather silly. I meant tap water plus some anti bacteria stuff/antifreeze.

Sorry Jonathan. I thought your were talking about normal water.

Ian

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information