I want to build a CNC lathe for my shed at home. I am a production engineer and have full access to CNC lathes mills, grinding m/c and heat treatment. I have lots of Ideas mechanically but I am a little lost when it comes to the electronics, and software to drive the machine. I want the machine to programmable in G code, because its what im used to, also I have Cad/Cam software I use at work which posts in G code.

Im not in a rush to build this machine and I want to do a nice job. I want to build a slant bed with a box section base. A little bit like the Haas SL30 machines. with a indexable turret. Again quoting Haas again they use a servo motor to index the turret.

The X and Z axis will run on Linear guide rails as well as the tail stock.

Also I think I will need a encoder for the spindle rpm

The questions I would like to ask are:-

*which software would be best suited for my requirements

*I need a controller that takes care of the stepper motors and the spindle speed.
I have a computer with parallel port and usb. which is best.

*do I need a special motor for the spindle, that is controlled by a spindle controller.

*Will the CNC control software, and control boards take care of coolant on and off, spindle on/off ect

*Most machine bases are made of cast Iron, that isn't an option for a one off m/c tool, If I make it from mild steel and weld it into box section and fill it with concrete will this help?

thanks Keith