Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Or as i call them by their technical name thingamabobs. These were made on my Harrison M250 lathe converted to CNC.

    Control software Mach3, Cad/Cam OneCNC



    Phil

  2. #2
    what are they for?
    it does look like you can have hours of fun with them :rofl:
    there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers !!!!

  3. #3
    Lee Roberts's Avatar
    Lives in Wigan, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Moderator Control Panel Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,544. Received thanks 161 times, giving thanks to others 652 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Referred 10 members to the community.
    Nice, they look like fun!
    .Me

  4. #4
    Nice...I once made cylindrical version of that.

    How did you hold it in the chuck? Soft jaws machined to fit?

    Very effective, though kind of cheating rolling them with one soft surface.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by h4ppy-chris View Post
    what are they for?
    it does look like you can have hours of fun with them :rofl:
    Well i don't know about hours, few minutes maybe. They have been made for someone to use in demonstrations and have some fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Nice...I once made cylindrical version of that.

    How did you hold it in the chuck? Soft jaws machined to fit?

    Very effective, though kind of cheating rolling them with one soft surface.
    They are cylindrical, no i didn't use soft jaws and i am rolling them using shiny clear perspex which is nice and hard.

    Phil

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    They are cylindrical, no i didn't use soft jaws
    Hmm, so did you machine them all in one operation? Or are you not disclosing how :naughty: I saw the other thread about it here a while ago.

    By cylindrical I mean mine were just prisms. I did it in the lathe by offsetting the center and machining it three times.

    Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    i am rolling them using shiny clear perspex which is nice and hard.
    Exactly - now use two pieces of perspex. That would be even more impressive.

  7. #7
    The shapes are for me. They look awesome! Looking forward to the postman knocking.

    Here's a little blog post I wrote about shapes and solids of constant width :

    http://blog.stevemould.com/50p-coins-make-great-wheels/

    Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hmm, so did you machine them all in one operation? Or are you not disclosing how :naughty: I saw the other thread about it here a while ago.
    My approach would be to turn the pointy bit and then basically part off the lightly curved face first roughing a relief down to maybe 10mm dia and then finishing the face and parting off the final 10mm in one go - if you get the tool shape right it should work ok.

    Anywhere near? :-)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    My approach would be to turn the pointy bit and then basically part off the lightly curved face first roughing a relief down to maybe 10mm dia and then finishing the face and parting off the final 10mm in one go - if you get the tool shape right it should work ok.

    Anywhere near? :-)
    I thought it might be that, but there's no mark at all at the center of the lightly curved face.

  10. #10
    z3t4's Avatar
    Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19-10-2017 Has been a member for 7-8 years. Has a total post count of 29.
    Thanks Phil & Steve. The video is brilliant!
    More here on these curves.
    HTH
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Youtube/Video Channel Thread?
    By Washout in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-05-2014, 02:24 PM
  2. Just a little video i found
    By totts in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-04-2014, 09:37 AM
  3. PCB Track Width Calculator
    By irving2008 in forum General Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 02:34 PM
  4. sanity check - constant running, loads and more
    By dsc in forum Stepper & Servo Motors
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-11-2012, 12:26 PM
  5. Laser Diode Constant Current Driver
    By Mad Professor in forum General Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •