. .

Thread: My first sign

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Finally got round to doing my first sign. Its a freebie for a friend of mine.
    Cut from 12mm Alu with a 6mm single flute carbide bit at 1mm DOC around 1150mm/min feed. It took 3hours 15 minutes to complete.
    I recon I could have done it quicker if I had not used V carve pro to make it. It seemed to spend alot of time going over the same path or doing a little cut in one place rasing the z axis then coming back down in the same place to finish the cut. But never mind it got there in the end.
    I need to finish cleaning it up then decide what colour I am going to paint the pocket in so that it brings out the letters, polish it up and its done.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130303_183616.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	8330

I like it ! how long did it take to cut ? I have the same problem with art cam or it might be NCStudio that it does silly little flicks back and forth to make a very slow plunge and not really do anything ..

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

About 3 hours 15 minutes to complete it. Its pocketed down to 5mm deep.

1150mm/min is a bit quick for a 6mm single flute carbide cutter. What spindle speed were you using? I almost invariably use about 600-650mm/min and 13000rpm, so I'm slightly surprised that didn't cause problems. It may be more efficient to use a greater depth of cut at the 'normal' feedrate.

It annoys me how inefficient the toolpaths are on many programs... pointless things like raising the Z-axis when it's just not necessary, or moving slowly down to the surface when it could go at rapid speed.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Spindle speed was 12000rpm. I did have the feed set to 700mm/min but when I started to run it on the machine the estimated time to completion was 6 1/2 hours so seeing as I had intended to paint the pocket anyway I upped the feed rate on the machine and gave it plenty lub. It cut very well apart from the wasted time on the tool path.

how do u clean this up from here then? just rub it for ages with a metal polish compound?

After finishing the de-burring I am going to try a scotchbrite brush that I have for a stick grinder and give it a good polish. If that works out ok then its paint time.

Managed to get this thing finished at last. I decided that the easiest way was just to spray the whole thing then do a 0.1mm surface pass to "bring out the lettering" then gave it a coat of laquer. Looks nice in sunlight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130403_154255.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	720.2 KB 
ID:	8639

Wow, that's real nice. I remember when i did my first sign.. I showed it toeverybody LOL Keep up the good work..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Looking good, bit of wet and dry now to remove the tool marks ?

.Me
    .Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information