. .
    Hi everybody,
    I hope that this is the right place to pose this problem.
    I have to relocate my X3 mill, and the only place I can put it is a garage with no electricity supply.
    Is it possible to run the mill from a portable generator? Most of the generators give a regulated output that will run a computer but I need to know whether it needs a1K or 2K to run the machine and the computer.
    John Corkett.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    There are two issues you need to consider.
    First is you'll need a generator big enough to provide the startup current for the milling machine motor, and that the surge from the milling machine may cause problems with the computer.
    The surge problem can either be solved by using a generator large enough to avoid any major surges, or by getting an active UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) so the computer always gets a reliable power source.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    There are two issues you need to consider.
    First is you'll need a generator big enough to provide the startup current for the milling machine motor, and that the surge from the milling machine may cause problems with the computer.
    The surge problem can either be solved by using a generator large enough to avoid any major surges, or by getting an active UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) so the computer always gets a reliable power source.
    Thanks for your help. I have to find out what the peak current the motor draws.
    Regards

Thread Information