Hello Folks,

Starting to enter the interesting world of cutting conditions and setting up for the materials I use instead of the canned stuff that came from BobCAD with V23. I figure that learning it now with this will help when I get T-Flex CAD/CAM and set up an in depth set for the range of materials I am cutting.

So what I am looking for is either a good old fashion discussion on differing materials and cutters/endmills (HSS or Carbide) or some good sources for learning both the reasoning as well as the math behind this. I know the old fashion way some tell you to learn, which is run it as fast as you can till it breaks and back off. That is a very expensive learning curve and one I would rather not go down.

To get it started I have noticed that my 1mm single flue carbide endmill will only take about 180 to 200 mm/min at 5k rpm on a Kress with a cutting depth of not greater than 1.5mm. While my 2mm single flue carbide endmill will handle 450mm/min in one direction with chatter and just a little bit of chatter in the opposite feed direction. Cutting depth on that is not yet fully tested, though will handle 2mm depth no problem in Maple.

I tend to cut hardwoods, softwoods, Acrylic, HDPE, Delrin, with the odd bit of soft alli'. I am looking to be able to cut Brass and PB102 to PB104 Phosphor Bronze in the near future as well as possibly Nickel Silver. So anyone wish to help a member loose a bit more hair trying to truly understand this stuff.

Look forward to a learning curve.

Michael