. .
  1. Well folks,

Today is a very good day indeed; I just took a 3mm single flue carbide up to 1000mm/min with nothing breaking.Finally after much bashing head against the walls, starting to get the speeds and feeds concepts in the head and also found a program that is helping with that a lot (GWizard and no I have no interest in the company). With that and a few kilos of books :whistling:starting to get a much better idea of materials and cutting speeds.

To those that have watched me come along as a very slow learner thanks for all the information. I have much to still learn (the electrical side still leaves me scratching my head at times), but finally feel that what I was shooting for in finish and cutting speeds can be realized.:naughty:

A BIG thanks to Roy at DIYCNC for great equipment and being willing to answer questions which must seem foolish or strange to him at times. Also to the Zapp for the help and answer they have given as well.

Now to get production up fully so I can add learning about the 4th axis I bought off ebay for a good price and start earning more money for making life better and getting better equipment ( a Z axis with real depth for the A axis is next on the build list, software is T-Flex CAD/CAM which is going to help a lot but is a big ouch in the pocket book).

I will get pic's and video linked and up today or tomorrow as have a lot of cutting to do.

Again to all thanks and have a great day (rain and all)

Michael

yeah get some video of it

Photos, its the law. We must have photos.

Ian

4. Okay folks here is pictures as promised.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15022011612.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	449.8 KB 
ID:	3757

Just got some files for cutting a chain tray for the cables and will be building that as I build the new Y & Z axis. If this looks like a Marchant Dice Router you would be right. There are some minor upgrades and the steeper are from Zapp. The reason that I am wanting a taller Z is multi fold with the first reason being this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15022011614.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	3758

I got it off ebay for just under £160 including shipping and it will allow me to do mouth pieces and a few other items with a whole lot better accuracy. back to the issue of the new axis, I am currently working them up in BobCAD V23 to get the idea and shape using dxf files of different types of extrusions. Would the current 16mm Trapezoid Lead screw be able to move solid Alli'? Any input on that front would be welcome as looking at some of the designs here and thinking that some where between 150 to 250mm Z travel would allow full use of the A axis once it is mounted. Which I am looking at a few options there as well. One option is to get another piece of the Alli' baseplate and have it cut longer to allow direct mounting of the axis to it ( Most likely over the X axis stepper motor). So that is that madness.

Control is via Mach3 and Roy's (DIYCNC) system 4 board using the EXMOD inserts current with the older model driver boards which you can see mounted to the side on a small post. I will be moving them all into an enclosure once have a bit more paid work done. I will post some video in another post as this is getting long.

Michael

5. Oh one other item,

I am having a devil of a time figuring out the reduction from the stepper motor on the 4th axis the gear on the stepper has 37 teeth and the gear on the axial has 60 teeth using a micro stepper set at 800 steps per 1.8° of movement. So working on it and would be very thankful for anyone who could help me muddle through the math (worked the normal formulas at least 4 times each and still not getting good results).

Michael

6. Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Oh one other item,

I am having a devil of a time figuring out the reduction from the stepper motor on the 4th axis the gear on the stepper has 37 teeth and the gear on the axial has 60 teeth using a micro stepper set at 800 steps per 1.8° of movement. So working on it and would be very thankful for anyone who could help me muddle through the math (worked the normal formulas at least 4 times each and still not getting good results).

Michael
    so for each rotation of the stepper the chuck will turn 37/60 revs.

Do you mean 8 microsteps per stepper 'step of 1.8deg? If so thats 8 * 200 = 1600 steps per rev so for each step the chuck turns 37/60 * 360/1600 degrees = 0.13875degrees

Thread Information