. .
    Hi, i recently got a leitz router bit 2nd hand that i intended to use for trenching on strings.
    When i tried to put it in my router i realized the shank is slightly smaller than the standard shank, its slightly under 11.5mm.
    I cant seem to find anything on the size of this shank but when i look on the leitz site it does a lot of cnc bits.
    So my question is, is this a bit for a cnc machine.

photos attached if you want to see it

Thanks for any replies!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5819.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	3799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5823.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	3800  

Can anybody confirm this is a cnc shank size????

Lives in Wigan, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Moderator Control Panel Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,915. Received thanks 227 times, giving thanks to others 773 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Referred 11 members to the community.
    It could be that Leitz provide their own custom collets, for their own custom shanks sizes, lets see what we can find...

A quick look on their website found this link: 5. Cutting tools with shank

If you confirm the Collet Chuck, they provide information on each and also a list of spare parts for the Chucks.

It looks as though they offer shank sizes from 6-24.5mm, what type of router have you got?

Cant confirm if it is a "cnc shank size" as cnc stands for? (Computer Numerical Controlled) :naughty:.

Lee
    .Me

Thanks for your answer! measured the shank in decent light and it is actually a 12mm shank, thought that was a bit of an odd measurement (maybe my tape stretched when i first measured it lol).
    Im using a makita 3612.

Thanks for the link, didnt think to look at cnc collets. it does mention 12mm so guess its a cnc bit then.
    Last edited by gazza; 27-02-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Lives in Wigan, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Moderator Control Panel Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,915. Received thanks 227 times, giving thanks to others 773 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Referred 11 members to the community.
    No problem, so the next question is...

Can you get a 1/2" Collet for the Makita and how well will it hold a 12mm shank (0.7 discrepancy) ?

You may get away with locking the collet nut nice and tite to take up that .7, however to save all the trial and error could you not use a cutter with a shank size you do have a collet for. Cutter diameter isn't critical here is it?, it shouldnt be because you could use a smaller cutter and make more pass's to get the finished trench width?

Lee
    .Me

Thread Information