. .
    Just a quick question

Im finally getting around to building a router but im not sure on the size of the supported rails and leadscrew.

I will be mainly cutting acrylic and alloy and teh design thats in my head should be very stable.

So would 20mm supported rails be ok for a 48" axis with a 20mm ballscrew, originally i was going to go for 16mm all round for the leadscrews but i think the 20mm may give me less whip at higher speeds.

Thanks Adam

Hi Adam,

I think you're probably about right - I'm planning something similar, myself. No reason for not using bigger rails (25mm?) on the long axis, as they're not moving, but lighter for the gantry, of course; supported: definitely - can't see the point of doing it any other way - and why not just make them structural as well?

As for ball-screws, thinner limits the revs for whip, but thicker makes for greater inertia, i.e. limits acceleration, so it's a compromise (there was a discussion about this - with diameters/lengths and revs., on another thread, somewhere). But it all wants to be as concentric as possible, no obvious run-out or mis-alignment, good bearings; and well-balanced. Vibration analysis would be a Good Thing, if you can find someone to do it... (optional !-) Only just spotted your query, I'm new, too. Hope it helps.
    "Just because Innovation is not universally accepted is not, in itself, proof of Superiority of Convention"
    Robert van der Plas

Thread Information