. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    https://sites.google.com/site/cncdiyorg/2520 (I reckon about £600 + import duty + VAT)
    Seems expensive to me, why are you so sure you don't want to make one? A machine that size is relatively simple.
    Anyway, it says the spindle speed is only 10,000rpm. That's good with regards to noise, but you're not going to cut PCBs very fast at that speed. I generally use about 25mm/min per 1000rpm. So 250mm/min with that spindle, which is a lot less than the machine is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Seems expensive to me, why are you so sure you don't want to make one? A machine that size is relatively simple.
    Anyway, it says the spindle speed is only 10,000rpm. That's good with regards to noise, but you're not going to cut PCBs very fast at that speed. I generally use about 25mm/min per 1000rpm. So 250mm/min with that spindle, which is a lot less than the machine is capable of.
    It's a time thing really...I've just been made redundant (20yrs with the same company! Hey ho...at least they gave me a big fat cheque, which rather than spend on loose women and fast cars - which my wife says I can't - I thought I'd put it towards some stuff that will make some stuff) ....so I now need to get some of these 'widget' ideas out of my head & into the market to see if they're viable! (if not, I'm gonna have some fun anyway! "March of the makers" eh"?!!)) I don't want to be dicking about spec'ing a machine. then ordeing a bit from here, a bit from there, then assembling blah blah....that takes time & for all you think I'd have loads of time on my hands, I don't (not to be building a machine anyways).

The more I mull this, I realise/concede that it's probably best to have a machine that's capable of milling aluminium...some of the widgets I have in mind are gonna need injection moudling (there only small simple pieces, but nevertheless the cost of getting them made is prohibiitve), so having a machine strong enough to mill steel/ali will be of great help if I do need to make simple injection moulds (but best do that when the neighbours are out!) .... a bench top injection moulding machine would be nice too!
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 05-04-2011 at 01:38 PM.

At least the last one has ball screws!!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    At least the last one has ball screws!!

Peter
    It also has a much smaller working area 300x180x55 IIRC

It won't do milling particularly well either and there is no way to overcome the limitations to do milling on it. Have a look at specs of milling machines what you will find is they are heavy. The heavier the machine the bigger the cut you can make.

You will not even get a vice on the table, i have a drilling vice that has a height of 45mm and it is not suitable for milling just drilling.

But if you bought a mill it would do milling and with an extra WC VFD run spindle you could do your pcbs etc the alternative is two machines.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Yes, I know the backup/support will suck!

Yes, I know delivery & import duties will be excessive!

but parking that for a mo, what do you reckon to this machine....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CNC-3040-ROUTE...item19c2929124

cos bluntly, the one I've built from scrap is not up to it - no surprises there (it's fine for dabbling...but I'm past the dabbling stage now(!) & I just can't justify the time researching & building my next machine.

I'm only really wanting a machine to mill acrylic, mill the odd PCB (but a small bit of ali would be nice though :-) ) .....noise level is one of my overiding concerns (neighbours!)...I'm figuring that the whirring of the steppers is gonna be loud (the driver seems below par....no microstepping)

Thoughts?

I had the same problems, so when I built my workshop I filled the walls with acoustic insulation, then built a cover over the whole CNC, this really quietened the machine down to such a state that 3 yards from the workshop I hear nothing, incidental I brought a Chinese machine and apart from the odd tweak I have had no trouble with it, and it has done hours of work

Thanks...yes I think building a cover is the best bang per buck approach to keeping your cutting rate/strength high, but noise low - I'd like to have seen a photo of your acoustic shroud ...any chance?

I've gone full circle, and will actually buy the Walter/Borsh 4030 CNC http://sites.google.com/site/cncdiyorg/4030 (it has 1605 ballscrews *& can take a VFD water cooled spindle) ...there are youtube videos showing it cutting aluminium too ...so that'll do for me - only one problem - the seller isn't responding to emails!

The price seems high for a Chinese made one.

Also Chinese made products don't have a good track record yet as being quality products.

Not sure about the statement about quality as most of the stepper motors we all use are of chinese origin!

Peter
    Last edited by ptjw7uk; 07-04-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The good old adage of 'You only get what you pay for' applies, as the Chinese are masters of building to a price.

Now having never dealt with water cooled spindles, inverters etc, I'm a little confused by the seller's response to me asking him to quote me for one! (the ad is here... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123 )

Me: "Could you please let me know if this machine can be supplied not only with the 300W spindle (as per your advert) but also a VFD & water cooled spndle + spindle mounting bracket too? If so, how much extra would that be (including shipping) to the UK?"

Sellers reply: "Dear friendthis machine come with water cooled spndle + spindle mounting bracket too but it does not have inverter for you.and This item is ready for using there is no need the inverter
    best regards,

This wil be the bit where I get confused - a water cooled spindle but with no inverter that's ready for use?!!

Me: "I am confused at your response....

"this machine come with water cooled spndle + spindle mounting bracket too but it does not have inverter for you"

....but your listed spindle specification doesn't mention 'water cooled' spindle, here's the extract from your advert.....

"Spindle motor 300w dc motor 1000~9500PRM/Min"

So once again, does this listing include a water cooled spindle with mount or not?

All of the water cooled spindles I've seen listed for CNC machines, typically look like this one you have listed....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/0-8KW-WATER-COOLED-SPINDLE-MOTOR-ENGRAVING-MILL-GRIND-/180508850988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a072a 7b2c

(also I though all the water cooled spindles *needed an inverter?)

I am familiar that most sellers of the CNC 3040t supply a 300W air cooled spindle...this is why I am confused?

Please clarify asap....many thanks.

Seller: "this listing include a water cooled spindle with mount"

So, can anyone here clarify what the gig is likely to be here - a water cooled spindle will work without an inverter?
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 08-04-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information