. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,

I'm looking for toolholders to fit the quick change toolpost on my lathe. It didn't come with any! The toolpost is 97x97x72mm, so I think it's a T2 since that's the same as the T2 one here:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/sh...ml%23aT2S#aT2S

It looks good, all the surfaces are ground. Quite annoying at the moment I've got the lathe but no way to hold any tools! If it comes to it I'll get one chronos and hope it fits.

Here's a picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07257 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	1412 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	3960

Thanks in advance.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    have you tried the engineers merchants like cromwell, mscj+j, buck and hickman, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    have you tried the engineers merchants like cromwell, mscj+j, buck and hickman, ect.
    I've tried J&J and Cromwell - they're £50-70, seems a bit much. I can't find any at buck and hickman, do you know of any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've tried J&J and Cromwell - they're £50-70, seems a bit much. I can't find any at buck and hickman, do you know of any others?
    Little lathe cheap parts, big lathe expensive parts

I have various holders the next size down from various manufactures from original to new Chronos types

The newer ones are very flimsy which i only use for small boring tools etc the older beefier types for the bigger tools.

One thing i can say is hardly any fitted correctly which wasn't an issue when manual turning, but when i went cnc those errors were unacceptable and i had to grind the tool post and all the holders, now changing tools i can hold a tolerance of 0.01mm on diameter.

The other place is ebay i still want more so i may make my own in the long term.

Tooling can cost more than the machine, currently i have 26 plus the tools in them + insets = 3 to 4 times the cost of the lathe.

Phil

Name:	toolholders.jpg 
Views:	4497 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	3962

I got one of the holders from Chronos for £26.95:

Name:	DSC07273 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	769 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	3971

It seems to fit well and is 'solid'. Even at that price it's going to cost a fair bit to get enough (though not 26!), and it's going to take a long time to make my own.

There's a version of it here with the proper square bolts:

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Q..._Holders_.html

Slightly more expensive but I might get one and compare.

Jonathan that toolpost in the picture is 180 degrees out. :confused:

If you are doing manual then yeah you don't need too many but cnc it takes so long to set them that it is worth it in the long run.

Phil

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    it is:heehee:

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    Jonathan that toolpost in the picture is 180 degrees out. :confused:
    Yes it is, didn't matter for what I was doing though! I realised what I'd done once I'd put the tool in...

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    If you are doing manual then yeah you don't need too many but cnc it takes so long to set them that it is worth it in the long run.
    No doubt I will convert it to CNC soon.

if you're going to cnc you may want to look over the toolplate idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehit1ip1LfM

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    if you're going to cnc you may want to look over the toolplate idea.
    The toolplate does look like a good way of doing it, but more awkward to set up and not as many tools. Also limits travel I suppose. Great for small jobs like in the video though. It's a similar concept to what I did with the milling machine here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGDMSiZpyg

I didn't video it but for a different part I clamped a couple of drills to the milling machine table and got it to use them all. Another way to do it would be to mount tools to a rotary table.

I will still want to use the lathe manually when it's converted to CNC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information