. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I think I got mine from Chronos at the time, but can't be entirely sure.
    General criteria I went for was it was wet, and cooled things!

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I think I got mine from Chronos at the time, but can't be entirely sure.
    General criteria I went for was it was wet, and cooled things!
    :rofl: Probably this one then:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/5...luble-Oil.html

Jonathan,
    I hpe your are havng more fun with your new toy than I am with mine. My "new" Blomqvist is cutting at a taper. I spent a while last night setting up the tool holder ang cross slide with a dti guage so that it is at 90 degress to the chuck and it is still cutting a bit off. I have bored out a hole with the apron stationary while using the cross slide compound rest. Still not sure why it is tapering. It could be that the headstock is slightly off centre. I will need to check this later.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Jonathan,
    I hpe your are havng more fun with your new toy than I am with mine.
    I've not actually made anything wit it yet - I'm trying to think of something!

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    My "new" Blomqvist is cutting at a taper. I spent a while last night setting up the tool holder ang cross slide with a dti ... It could be that the headstock is slightly off centre.
    When cutting parallel I always use the apron handle for the final pass. If you use the apron does it cut parallel, if not it must be the headstock.

Where are you putting the dti to test the top slide since the side of it might not actually be exactly parallel to the direction of motion? How far off is it? If it's only a very slight taper using the apron handle it could be that the bed is twisted.

I've not checked the headstock on mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    When cutting parallel I always use the apron handle for the final pass. If you use the apron does it cut parallel, if not it must be the headstock.

Where are you putting the dti to test the top slide since the side of it might not actually be exactly parallel to the direction of motion? How far off is it? If it's only a very slight taper using the apron handle it could be that the bed is twisted.

I've not checked the headstock on mine yet.

The compound slide should only be used FOR cutting tapers, everything else you should use the saddle/apron

The only way to test is with a test bar that fits in the spindle taper and use a dti any other method you will be bringing other factors into the equation by making test cuts "Tool Deflection, Materiel Deflection ETC"

The only part that needs to run true is the cross slide to the spindle axis.

Phil

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M250cnc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    The only way to test is with a test bar that fits in the spindle taper and use a dti any other method you will be bringing other factors into the equation by making test cuts "Tool Deflection, Materiel Deflection ETC"
    That's interesting, and seems logical, however in the manual for my lathe it says to test it by cutting.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 24-04-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Typo

First useful parts I've made on the lathe:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07278 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	559 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	3976

Socket spanner for the toolpost, I made the socket ages ago with the rotary table on milling machine before I converted it to CNC. It happened to fit the toolpost nut

Second is two small pins for my rc car, 2.8mm diameter - 45mm long. I have not got an MT3-2 adapter so can't use my centres yet so had to do it unsupported. It worked fine though. One of them is stainless steel by accident! They hold the wishbones on - the original is just a simple bar that keeps falling out.

Jonathan,
    if you are after some morse taper sleeves I have some if you are interested.

Ian

10. I found the cheapest BD68 slideways oil on Radionics

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/s...=bd+68&x=0&y=0

Phil,
    thanks for the info. I have tested the lathe again boring a 16mm hole with a boring bar again. I set up the boring bar in the holder by eye and the tool holder by eye at right angles to the bed, the tool holder does not index.
    Tried boring some brass bar and it came out good. Vernier was a good fit in both ends of the hole.

Ian

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information