Hello all,

I only thought about building a mini cnc last night and have only spent about an hour looking around the net at ideas.

I did'nt really get anywhere but have a few ideas and thought i'd post a few questions to see if what I want to achieve is even possible.

I'm looking at building quite a small CNC to enable me to machine materials such as: hard resin, nylon and possible small quanities of aluminium.

This is hobby only and I want to make it as simple and cost effective as possible for my first build to get good ideas and improve if necessary.

I am happy I am able to build the frame work but need to know about Hardware and Software

OK Questions,

1. If I was looking to purchase some cheap stepper motors from ebay (UK) what would I be looking for?

2. How would I match these motors to the controller and what controller would I be looking for? (how would this connect to my PC)

3. For a novice in software could anyone recommend anything?. Is there any freeware around?

4. Lastly, there are a lot of DIY builds on you tube and i'm quite impressed. I could'nt find any DIY designs on this site, are there any?.

Many thanks to everyone in advance, this site looks pretty amazing and I'm quite excited about starting a project.

Thanks Rob

p.s My apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forums.