Alright there?
I'm an aerodynamics research student with no experience in electronics. In the course of my work I've been tasked with producing a model of a missile which can be rolled about its axis of symmetry and must also feature a nose which can be rolled independently. I'm to be able to produce very small changes in roll angle so with this in mind I plan on using some 42mm 0.9deg stepper motors available from RS components. I will also be using absolute rotary encoders to obtain accurate position measurement.

As I mentioned, I have zero experience with electronics and limited access to technicians who would be able to help me. So, do any of you have any particularly useful links to something along the lines of "Stepper Motors for Dummies"? A lot of the stuff I've seen online doesn't explain the practical steps of getting the motor to turn by some specified number steps and what equipment I'll need to drive them (do I need a computer, do I just connect the motors to some kind of signal generator; I just don't know!).

All help appreciated. Work on the assumption that I know nothing about electronics and if you think you're being patronising then you're probably talking about the right level.

Daniel