. .
    hi all this is my new version i had given up on the old one i was building as i was finding it hard to get all the parts i need. so i found a big plotter on ebay and it was just what i was looking for. heres a pic of the gantry. i used 6mm chain for the drive up the frame i made because i got it cheap and the guy has loads of different sizes spockets.

and heres a pic of the frame when i started making it.

i was trying to use the plotter as the controller but it was a pain with all the sensore giving me errors so ive ordered a control board that should be here next week. ill put some more pics up next week.
    adam
    Last edited by oadamo; 07-06-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Oadamo,
    how wide is your frame? You might get some swing on the slave side of your machine if the acceleration/deceleration times are short with it being a single side drive. From the pictures it looks like your gantry is sitting on the slave rail. Does it have any bearings underneath to tension it down?

Regards

Ian

Hi, What I know about Plasma Machines could be written on something rather smaller than the point of a very sharp needle!! so please excuse my ignorance. It appears to me as if the lengths of steel that run on the inside of the frame are sloping Why???
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

I was wondering about that myself but I suppose the builder has a good reason for it. The only drawback I can see is that it is a good place for slag to get trapped in. They could be angled to provide more support or easier fixing for the table slats.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblybootie View Post
    Hi, What I know about Plasma Machines could be written on something rather smaller than the point of a very sharp needle!! so please excuse my ignorance. It appears to me as if the lengths of steel that run on the inside of the frame are sloping Why???
    The slats are sacrificial and the angled slot makes it easy to just drop a new one in - rather a neat design.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FatFreddie For This Useful Post:

Oh so simple ... when you think about it ...
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Oadamo,
    how wide is your frame? You might get some swing on the slave side of your machine if the acceleration/deceleration times are short with it being a single side drive. From the pictures it looks like your gantry is sitting on the slave rail. Does it have any bearings underneath to tension it down?

Regards

Ian
    hi ian
    the frames 1400mm wide by 1500mm, the gantry is sitting on linear bearing in homemade holders for now but iam going to buy some proper ones after i test it out and i no it works. iam only going to be running it slow so i hope i dont get to much swing in the arm ill have to wait and see.
    adam

the frames made out of 40x5mm box and i didnt want to add much more weight and all i had to do was put it in the chop saw and cut it a few times, plus i needed i slot for the stips to fit into and by doing this way it doesnt matter if there 20mm short they should still fit in the slots.
    adam

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I was wondering about that myself but I suppose the builder has a good reason for it. The only drawback I can see is that it is a good place for slag to get trapped in. They could be angled to provide more support or easier fixing for the table slats.

Ian
    hi yes the slag might be a problem but i can always clean it out now and then, i was thinking of cutting a few holes in to make it easyer to clean.
    adam

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    The slats are sacrificial and the angled slot makes it easy to just drop a new one in - rather a neat design.
    thanks but i didnt mean it to be this way it was all i had to work with :naughty:

Oh so simple ... when you think about it ...
    it was just quick and simple to do :)

i got me a pair of new stepper motors off the bay because i was having probs with the ones i had. and ive got it 90% done now heres a little vid of the motors running in manual mode using the keyboard. all i have to do now is make the gun holder and make some legs and a water try to catch the sparks then tidy my shed so i can get it off the top of my tool box and start using it lol.
    ive got to sort out the software side of things but iam buying sheetcam this week so iam hoping its not to hard to get the thing cutting.
    adam

vid of motors working
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86tkvriyp1I

Last edited by oadamo; 08-06-2011 at 10:22 PM.

hi quick update i had a go at making the gun holder today. iam going to make a better one later but it will do for now to get it up and running so i can play 

Thread Information