. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,
    does anyone have any experience of the kress spindles? I am thinking about getting one but I am wondering what they are like.
    How is their reliability, accuracy and noise levels?

Regards

Ian

Very good for the price, reliable, accurate and if you keep down to No's # 1 -3 they are reasonably quiet, above 3 they do start to sound like a router.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    How is their reliability, accuracy and noise levels?
    However you look at it it's still a router, not a 'proper spindle' with an induction motor. So noise and reliability will not be as good as the water cooled spindles from china. Similarly for accuracy.

Having said that it clearly depends on what you're using it for? If you're only ever doing, for instance, wood carving then I'm sure it would be fine. I once posted here asking about them and was persuaded to get the 2.2kW water cooled spindle. I wasn't going to get one initially due to the cost, but I got some free money from university for A-level results so decided to spend it on upgrading router . I'm not regretting it at all.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/2941-...y-a-Kress-1050
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 16-03-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: updated link

Jonathan,
    which spindle motor kit did you get? I would like to machine alloy and plastics as well as timber so maybe I would be better upgrading. Personally I would prefer an air cooled version. How are you managing the water cooling?

Regards

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    which spindle motor kit did you get? I would like to machine alloy and plastics as well as timber so maybe I would be better upgrading. Personally I would prefer an air cooled version. How are you managing the water cooling?
    Hi,

I got this one since it was the cheapest at the time, using best offer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I got the 2.kW version because it's the cheapest one with ER20 collets which I need to hold 1/2" cutters. If you're thinking of getting one due to the noise then get the water cooled version since the fan will make a lot of noise. Also the fan means you cannot run the air cooled version at low speeds. My water cooling system is a bucket + 12v submersible pump and several meters of tube. Nothing to it really... you do not need an expensive pump. I'm using one like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-DC-Submers...item3cb7cddcac

Let me know if there's anything else.

Just checked that one. Even with the postage it still works out around £250. How did you find the delivery time?

Ian

I saved a bit using best offer. Delivery is DHL very fast service, about 3 days from despatch. The issue for me was he took a long time to despatch, due to new year or something like that. I still got it in under two weeks.

Ive made a best offer on one of the spindles so we will see if I get it or not.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Hi,

I got this one since it was the cheapest at the time, using best offer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I got the 2.kW version because it's the cheapest one with ER20 collets which I need to hold 1/2" cutters.
    Sorry to resurrect an older thread but... well, I've only just read it.

Jonathan, is this the spindle you've been using in your youtube videos? The inverter looks to be the same. If so, I wanted to throw a few questions at you if that's ok. Web Goblin, if you also got this motor in the end, please feel free to comment as well!

1. How have you found it so far with the aluminium work you've been doing?
    2. If it's coming from the US, does the inverter need a 110v voltage converter?
    3. Availability of tools to fit it?
    4. I've heard it mentioned that it can be hooked up to Mach3/EMC, is that the case?
    5. Any other comments you think would be useful for a compelte novice to bear in mind when considering this spindle?

As always, your help and input is appreciated.

Yes it's the spindle I used on youtube. Chip has one too...

It works well with aluminium as it is much much stronger and has lower run-out than a Kress or any router.

230V is fine - it's generally from China/Hong Kong.

You can get a set of cheap collets from ebay, 1mm to 13mm which will fit pretty much any tool in that range as they squash by 1mm (0.5mm for the small ones). The spindle came with a 1/2" collet. I got a 1/4" collet from Arc Euro to use with 1/4" shank router cutters. Don't get the 1.5kW spindle as that only accepts up to 10mm tools which is very limited since 1/2" router cutters are much stronger.

Yes I don't see why not, though I've not tried it yet. Personally I prefer to switch it on and off myself as I think it's safer. You can control the speed with an analogue input, so I see no reason not to connect that to Mach3 using its PWM feature.

Nothing else except don't get less than the 2.2kW spindle for above reason. You wont be short of power. I've never got close to the full 2.2kW. Also you don't need much cooling for it - a 10L bucket with a pond pump works just fine for me and is obviously cheap. Get the biggest PVC tube you can fit as that will help with the flow rate. I've found the VFD that comes with it to be fine...so far. Just don't connect the input leads to the output and vice versa as that makes them go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information