. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Happy days.....I got the spindle working via the inverter drive although I had to wire the signal through one of the relays on the breakout board. For some reason the inverter didn't like the signal directly from the CNC Controller.

If anyone is thinking of putting together a controller the CIB Breakout board and the CPU5 USB CNC Controller card combo seems a really good solution. This is my third controller and by far the best of all of them.

Still have to wire the stepper Motors, E-Stop and Home switches. (A job for the weekend)

One question when I shutdown the software / it crashes the spindle starts? Is there anything I can do to stop this as it could become slightly dangerous.

Cheers
    Ant

It's been a while sorting a few other things but back onto the the controller.

I've done a few updates and removed the breakout board (ready for a different job), I replaced with solid state relays, had a few problems wiring in them in but worked it out after a while. Bert from Eding CNC the manufacturer of the CNC controller card put me in the right direction which was a great help.

Added a quick video on You tube of the machine axis moving , still need to put the cables in some conduit and also make a few guards for the motors....but getting there at last. Hopefully cutting metal on the machine before christmas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG 
Views:	1077 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	4848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0719.JPG 
Views:	673 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	4849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.JPG 
Views:	2377 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	4850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0718.JPG 
Views:	673 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	4847

Cheers,
    Ant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0717.jpg 
Views:	1339 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	4845   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	350.0 KB 
ID:	4846  

I've now run my first few parts on the machine.

It's been a while but here's what I ended up with:-

> Ended up buying the majority of the kit from Zapp Automation Gary from their was a great help.
    > Was going to use Mach3 software but went with the Eding CNC card. I do have to say it's brilliant.
    > I've now also installed a automatic tool length setter, that again is a great inclusion.

Anyway posted a few video's on Youtube so you can see how the machine performs.

Quote Originally Posted by antsals View Post
    What is a watchdog on a cnc contoller card?
    A 'watchdog' is computer slang for a seperate timer circuit. Everytime you access the card it resets the watchdog timer. If the computer stops accessing the card the watchdog timer times out and presses the panic button.

5. Antsals, ive got the same turret mill as you and have also been considering cncing this, i also have been using edings USBCNC for over a year now and i agree the software is very good and never misses a beat!
    Have you any pics of the ball nut housings and how you fixed them?

Quote Originally Posted by antsals View Post
    Ended up buying the majority of the kit from Zapp Automation Gary from their was a great help.
    Did you mention to Gary that you planned to put the motors out on stalks so they couldn't dump their excess heat in to the mill?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Did you mention to Gary that you planned to put the motors out on stalks so they couldn't dump their excess heat in to the mill?

I think the *design* stems from the clock makers guild, all clocks are built on pillars like that. Probably has to have a bit of give to allow the lovejoy coupling to work?
    John S -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information