. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,

I'm completely new to this cnc game and need something really simple to get me started.
    The cnc machine I've got came with some old dos cam software which the chap I bought the machine of said could do with updating to a windows based program.
    At the moment I have no means of generating dxf(I think thats right) either. Can any one recommend a very simple progam for generating dxf or a simple cad cam program. At the moment all I am looking to do is carve very simple designs in my furniture i.e names, heart shapes or tractors made from combining squares circles etc, it will all be 2d. I do emphasis the need for it to be simple as I've no experience in cad or cnc.
    Also if I upgrade my computer can I use a usb with a parallel adapter or do the transmit data in a different format.

Many thanks,
    Paul

Cambam would do what your describing - just download the free edition. You shouldn't need the paying one:

http://www.cambam.info/

Quote Originally Posted by 2006Nobull View Post
    Also if I upgrade my computer can I use a usb with a parallel adapter or do the transmit data in a different format?
    Definately not. USB wont do the accurate timings that's required for the router - it's designed to just transfer lots of data without worrying about the time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

4. Vectric software cannot be beat "PERIOD!" I will fly the flag for these guys as there products are nothing short of "BRILLIANT". Like yourself I was a total newbee and downloading free "this and that" software and found alot of it very confusing. So a £100 lighter I bought Cut 2D and can honestly say it is amazing and almost idiot proof. Vectric software is literally the only product you will ever need,V-Carve Pro is next on my list without a doubt.

For a CAD program look no further than Draftsight [ do a Google ]
    Completely free, downloadable free manual and laod sof video's on Youtube to help.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    For a CAD program look no further than Draftsight [ do a Google ]
    Seconded. It is the only free CAD program I've found that works well with industry standard Autocad (.dwg) files and also has a very Autocad like interface.

Try it.

Russell.

vECTRIC IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

I have to go along with John on Draftsight, and for my cam, I use SheetCam (www.sheetcam.com). Reasonably priced, excellent support, and does the job for 2 1/2D work that I do.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

CAMBAM gives you most bang for the bucks.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Your all plonkers the guy asked this question over 6 months ago.!!!!!!!

Bahhhh! bahhhhhhhhhhh! bahh1 bahh!
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information