. .

Thread: Siff' Build Log

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Using aluminium because I can get it cheaper than steel and my rails are sitting on ally extrusion. That would mean I could then weld the ally extrusion to the base.

I'll add something in to make the bearing adjustable.. something I never thought about, so thanks!

I've reinforced the joint between the x and y axis, but I believe the bearing plates will be strong enough. I know some builds don't even use bearings on the 'floating' side and they will be made from 15mm ally.

Wish I could lower gantry but i'm trying to avoid using timing belts/pulleys where I can, so I had to raise it so the motor would clear the ballscrew :sad:

Also, quick question, where do i get pulleys from with a 10mm bore to fit the ballscrews? And can I get the belts in any length? Should I add a tensioner further down the line?

Finally, once I have bolted together all of the y axis and confirmed it is square/smooth etc, If I weld along the seems (lack of a better word) will it cause the ally to distort at all?

Cheers, Joe :naughty::naughty::naughty: (looking forward to getting it built)
    Last edited by everyreasonto; 26-07-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Thread Information