. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Although I'd hoped to make my first CNC router myself, moving house got in the way. Now I'm settled in my new home (Tasmania), I decided to buy a small eBay unit to get started.

This is the one I got - or will get once it's paid for and sent :tup:

There was some discussion on another forum about the quality of these units. The opinion seems to be that the electronics and software are crap but the mechanical components are worth the money. I've got a Gecko G540 spare and a copy of Mach 3 so I can replace as required.

I'm sure there are people here who have considered the eBay units so I'll update once I receive the unit and play with it a bit.

Regards
    Geoff

2. Picked up router and so far have only unpacked it.
    Seems pretty well made and I consider it value for money.

FYI, here's a link to the eBay item. It's actually quite a bit cheaper (shipping) than I paid for it a week ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc_pieces.jpg 
Views:	1220 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	4297  
    Regards
    Geoff
    My home

yeeehaaaawww!!! nice one, you should be cutting things to bits in no time :)

the first time you press go on a bit of g-code is a quite a moment... i half exspected mine to jump up n cut my leg off :lol:

good luck dude :)

Geoff,
    That's an awesome bit of kit even if the box is rubbish.
    I think you would be struggling to build one for that price given it comes with high speed spindle and VFD ?

I have a Teckno-Isel router but it's only 300 x 300 working area and this looks to fit the bill ideally.

I'd be interested to see how accurate this is when you have it running.
    John S -

5. John,
    You're right about not being able to build one for that price. In fact the same unit got even cheaper this week when the seller slashed shipping cost by half ($US124 less than I paid). Add the continuing improvement in the $A vs $US and I would have saved a further $A150 buying this week :exclaim:

The controller is pretty basic - see photos . Fortunately I have a spare Gecko G540 controller and a 48v power supply so an upgrade is likely. I just need to find out some info on the steppers, the only marking is 57BYGH636
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc_controller-1.JPG 
Views:	394 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	4301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc_controller-2.JPG 
Views:	501 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	4300  
    Regards
    Geoff
    My home

6. Never one to rush things...
    Finally have a new place to live and the mandatory shed so got the CNC router assembled.
    Sorting out Mach 3 and hope to test run it tomorrow. If all is well, it moves from the kitchen table t the shed for some cutting!

7. Well there were a few problems getting it to go. After much swearing and changing of configs in Mach 3, it turns out that it was a parallel port issue.
    The controller interface requires 5 volts which it expects to get from the parallel port but my PC didn't provide the correct voltage/current.
    Connected a separate 5 volt power supply to the interface and all was well.
    There still tuning of the motors to do but that will have to wait, off on a sailing weekend tomorrow!
    Regards
    Geoff
    My home

Nice looking! Water cooled spindle I see. Looks nice.
    Tom
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

I'm about to buy one to integrate to EMC2. Thanks for the tip on ensuring you drive it with a full 5v. Any other tips please keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by boldford View Post
    I'm about to buy one to integrate to EMC2. Thanks for the tip on ensuring you drive it with a full 5v. Any other tips please keep them coming.
    Quick tip, most modern motherboards only output typicaly 3.3v, very naughty, well below the spec. But these are home pcs trying to drive industrial electronics (they just don't make em like they used to unless you get an industrial pc (££££ss)!). So a lead length over a meter and your in trouble. RS232 looks for a threshold of 3v,, so they are is much more prone 2 the problem. True RS232 will work over 50 feet. With machine tools, router heads etc there is always noise so a good 5v is very important. In my experience 90% of problems are eventually traced to the power supply so best to look there first.
    They look nice, like the ball screws! And very good value. I have a very old Isel, 20 years at least but significantly more cash and these look just as stiff. The bearings say chromed so I'd keep them clean if you intend to use any water based coolants at any time. Good luck with your nice toys, should give years of abuse!
    Tom
    Last edited by black5f; 12-12-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: I worte it from my phone so it was in pigeon and abrupt!
    Sherline lathe, Chester DB11V lathe, Myford/ Rodney mill, CNC mill Isel/ home made, Sealy Hack Saw, Meddings Pillar drill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information