. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Velocity is et to 30 as well, full speed in less that a second sounds ok to me? i will be putting it higher but remember i only have a single motor on that axis (double stack neme34) around about 1000oz of torque
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Note to myself - buy a laptop with a better keyboard, i type faster than it responds

It depends what you're doing. For engraving where the machine has to change direction rapidly and regularly you will certainly want more.
    Increase the velocity until it just stalls (30*60=1800mm/min seems a bit slow but maybe not as I don't know the mass of your gantry) then back it off by about 10-20% just to be safe. Then increase the acceleration untill it stalls whilst accelerating, and do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Note to myself - buy a laptop with a better keyboard, i type faster than it responds
    Then change the keyboard layout to Dvorak like I have then you'll be touch-typing faster than it responds...

Gantry must be somewhere near about 20kg and thats without the dc spindle motor i will need to mount later when I've finished modding the ER16 end. A soon as can i will post some pics up on my log which i have neglected for a very long time (family stuff takes over). I have a list of changes for it already but need the machine to make the changes. i am glad to see that you have come a long way since you started Jonathan and thanks for the help, you too John

PS

Give EMC2 a try, you WILL (look into my eyes not around my eyes) like it better that Mach3 me thinks

PS

Give EMC2 a try, you WILL (look into my eyes not around my eyes) like it better that Mach3 me thinks
    I will ... I remember reading JohnS saying that you can't jog the machine whilst in feed hold with EMC? If that's still the case then that alone is probably enough to stop me using it again as it will make tool changes more difficult. That's the only reason really I haven't already used it extensively. I'm not put off with it using Linux as I do use Ubuntu for occasionally. The GUI is much nicer in EMC, in my opinion there's too much eye-candy in mach3.

Forgot to say in last post ... don't just test the feedrate by jogging. The worst case is probably when the X-axis changes direction rapidly. So for instance try something like this:

G0 X100
    G0 X0
    G0 X100
    G0 X0
    etc

(and since EMC does support loops in Gcode you can do that much more efficiently than in mach3! I remember once spending a while writing the Gcode to do pulleys using loops and stuff only to realise mach3 does not easily support conditional Gcode). Also make it move the Y and Z at the same time as you're testing X as the extra load on the power supply will make a difference. It has on my machine ... I connected oscilloscope to the power supply recently and that showed the ripple increase markedly when all the steppers were running.

i am glad to see that you have come a long way since you started Jonathan and thanks for the help
    No worries...yes I have learnt a fair bit since starting my router. If you compare what it looked like in the first post of my build log to now there's quite a difference! A lot of that was down to trying to cut costs though.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 21-07-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information