. .
    Location unknown. NorthernLightsMachines Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6118 members to the community.
    Hello,

My name is shawn and i am an Employee of Northern Light Machines, a Machine shop in down town corner brook newfoundland. We have recently just opened our doors to a select few but are having a great deal of difficulty with our German made CNC Step High Z S400.

The problem is as follows:

The connection between PC and the CNC Control box is not being made. With the Control box there is a 25 pin printer connection, our PC does not have this connection. The cable is female on both ends.

so we picked up a 25 pin to USB connector and attempted to use this to get the PC and the Control box to communicate through the WINPC-NC program. This isnt working.

For some reason we cannot get the PC to register that the Control box is connected, it simply looks at the device, fails to find drivers, and writes it off as a printer that it cannot find drivers for.

If you know of other types of connectors, or ways around this issue that would be appreciated, our PC specs are as follows:

Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - Intel® Pentium® Processor E5800 (2M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) - 4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1TB hard drive - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 - Intel® G41 Express chipset - DVD±RW DL - gigabit LAN - USB keyboard and mouse - Multi-in-1 card reader

Any help that you guys can give us, even directions to look in for answers is greatly appreciated! anything that helps us along gets our business off the ground!

Sincerely,

Shawn Burton

2. I would suggest you get a PCI port parallel port card anbd use this.
    Looking at the PC-NC website it sounds as if it uses the parallel port to send step and direction so if this is right, a USB parallel port will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLightsMachines View Post
    Hello,

My name is shawn and i am an Employee of Northern Light Machines, a Machine shop in down town corner brook newfoundland. We have recently just opened our doors to a select few but are having a great deal of difficulty with our German made CNC Step High Z S400.

The problem is as follows:

The connection between PC and the CNC Control box is not being made. With the Control box there is a 25 pin printer connection, our PC does not have this connection. The cable is female on both ends.

so we picked up a 25 pin to USB connector and attempted to use this to get the PC and the Control box to communicate through the WINPC-NC program. This isnt working.

For some reason we cannot get the PC to register that the Control box is connected, it simply looks at the device, fails to find drivers, and writes it off as a printer that it cannot find drivers for.

If you know of other types of connectors, or ways around this issue that would be appreciated, our PC specs are as follows:

Windows® 7 Home Premium - 64-bit version - Intel® Pentium® Processor E5800 (2M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB) - 4GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1TB hard drive - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 - Intel® G41 Express chipset - DVD±RW DL - gigabit LAN - USB keyboard and mouse - Multi-in-1 card reader

Any help that you guys can give us, even directions to look in for answers is greatly appreciated! anything that helps us along gets our business off the ground!

Sincerely,

Shawn Burton

3. Also i am not sure if it will be compatible with windows 7 or 64 bit.
    Looking at the manual it was done in 1999.

http://www.cnc-step.com/englisch/hbpcnc.pdf

Thread Information