Hi

I make kitchens in a very non-cnc kind of way, and I want to use CNC techniques on a simple woodworking machine. Unfortunately, although I have a reasonable grasp of how CNC works, and I understand (mostly) what the various parts are, I have no practical experience at all and so I am here hoping someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction.

Let me tell you what I want to do- I want to be able to move a fence (in the woodworking sense) of about a metre long, over the surface of a table so that the fence remains parallel to a fixed rail. Illustrations below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc idea position one.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	4256
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc idea leftmost position.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	4255

I would like to be able to position the fence to an accuracy of 0.1mm, if at all possible. A total travel of about 800mm would be enough. Once in position I need it to be able to resist the force needed to push a piece of board material against it so that it can be cut by a saw moving along the fixed rail (which I will do by hand).

I would also like to be able to make a trial cut, measure the resulting piece, then tell the computer (I have a machine that runs XP at the workshop) what the length of the piece is, then tell the computer what length piece I require, and have it move the fence accordingly, so I will need some software too.

I really don't know what the best way to achieve all this is, so am hoping someone here can help, either on this thread, or by email, or in person (an expenses budget is available