Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	4393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0004.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	4403

James & Luke:heehee::heehee:

Check your PM's.

The aluminium angle you appear to be using to attach the gantry sides looks a bit flimsy. It can bend quite a lot with forces parallel to the Y-axis. Are you intending to reinforce it? Or perhaps you are mounting the gantry some other way...

Your workshop is looking almost as tidy as mine!

What's in the background of the 7th photo looks ideal for a wind turbine lattice tower :naughty:

Edit: Forgot to say, almost done the ballnut mount.

Yes Jonathan Image 7 has my display gantry and It's just been sold to help pay for the cnc machine But I may have a length spare would you like one ??

what would you suggest for the bearing support as I was just going to mount the gantry sides to it ??

James

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    Yes Jonathan Image 7 has my display gantry and It's just been sold to help pay for the cnc machine But I may have a length spare would you like one ??
    That's a generous offer... how long is one length and what diameter/wall thickness/material are the main 3 tubes?

what would you suggest for the bearing support as I was just going to mount the gantry sides to it ??
    Difficult to say really. I used 100x60x5mm steel RHS which would be better but still not ideal. Aluminium extrusion is almost certainly the best option. You could just use solid blocks, but that's a bit crude and probably more expensive than two small lengths of extrusion. You just need to think of some construction that is strong in that direction.

James
    Hi james,

Please excuse if you have posted this info in earlier because i've not read every post just flipped thru. What are you using for a gantry.? Do you have a general drawing or sketch of the overall machine as you would like it complete.?

I've been looking at the pics and think this the layout your going for please correct me if i'm wrong.
    The bed will be down where the MDF is layed in pic 7, gantry it will be driven with twin slaved steppers which I presume will be attached at each side directly to the end of the gantry, by this I mean NO lower gantry cross piece. Presume ballscrew on Y axis.

I'm also presuming the bed and frame are not yet complete thou if yes then I see some areas that would concern me and will definaitly cause problems when machining.

What do you intend to mainly cut with this machine.?

Cheers

From the pics I'm thinking you plan to use the
    Cheers.

Jazz I don't mind recapping:heehee::heehee:

This is the second recap I've done but lost the first one I typed 10 minuets ago

You are Correct the bed is not finish yet three more length of extrusion to add 45x45 profile. the gantry is moved by two ball screws, two stepper motors and two drivers.

ball screw are to be mounted to the under side of CNC rail show in this photo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0012.jpg 
Views:	1621 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	4406

Material I would like to cut is Aluminium, oak, maple, MDF and Acrylic

I am building this with the idea of adding a 4th axis for turning wood

Ok the drawings well most of it is in my head and as I'm new to most of the drawing software I'm finding it hard to articulate my self but here is a drawing of the Y-axis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	4407

the Gantry sides and supported rails are shown in blue

profiles are as follows
    gantry side 45x180 extrusion

gantry rail supports are 45x45 extrusion with a bolted brace in 12 mm Aluminium shown in yellow witch will also be bolted to the gantry side rails to stop twisting and vibration movement

shown in green is the Z-Axis support made in 20x 200mm I have gone for a box configuration as it is a lot stronger than a lot of the open three sided I have seen

the rails are 20mm supported and I may even change the drawing to include a third rail at the back in line with the ball screw attached to the bracing aluminium

the gantry sides will be attached to the angle bolted to the support bearings by no less than six bolts

I do hope this makes sense to you :whistling::whistling:

James

Drivers and Break out board arrived just ordered my spindle 2.2k and just waiting for a invoice for the rest of my ballscrews and supported rails

end of the week I will be ordering the aluminium for the Y-axis from aluminium warehouse I will be picking up the bed extrusion and some of the gantry extrusion as I have a two week waiting time for the big 180x45 extrusion profile

It's all coming together just water pump,nut and bolts and cable to order now and some bits from Jonathan

Luke is getting excited O'and me as well:naughty::naughty::heehee::lol:

James and Luke
    Last edited by luke11cnc; 31-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Oh if your excited now you better get the adult nappies ready for the big fire up day. :)

replyed to your PM by the way.

Hi James, Luke.

Regards the gantry and the way you intend to use the angle, like jonathan I feel this is not enough and will be weak area.
    From your rough drawing and the fact you mention using Ali 20mm plate have you thought about using 20mm for the gantry sides and bearing plate.
    Doing it this way would let you bolt the bottom extrusion to the bearing plate which the ends would be bolted into the gantry side also the 12mm front plate will be bolted to the gantry side plate all could be located into shallow machined groves for easy setup.
    It would save buying the 180x45 which really wont had any extra strength and would be very strong.

I've done a few quick drawings see what you think.! . . . It's could use a bit more bracing etc and could be fancyed up a bit but it should give you the idea of what I mean.

Cheers

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information