. .
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    thats a tad aggressive jazz
    No "Your talking bo@~#cks Jonathan" is Agreesive but I didn't say that did I.:whistling:

Yes I've worn out a ballscrew, it took 3 yrs and yes it payed for it's self meny times.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes I've worn out a ballscrew, it took 3 yrs and yes it payed for it's self many times.
    You wore out the ballscrew, or the nut and what machine? Did you replace one or both out of interest? Tell me more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    You wore out the ballscrew, or the nut and what machine? Did you replace one or both out of interest? Tell me more!
    One of the X axis screws on my machine, it was the screw mainly but the nut was well tired. In it's defense I've abused them and the hole machine to the point of torcher.
    99% of the time it's cut aluminium and with absolutly no protection for the screws from chips and flying debris. . . Some times running constant for upto 36hrs non stop.
    It also didn't help that in the very early days I forgot to tighten one of the pulleys and it came off. The other screw kept going and very badly racked the gantry bending the screw.
    I had it straightened but it was never the same.

Got some nice quality 25mm Ground C3 doublenut screws for my new soon to be machine. The old machine will be retired to just cutting wood an plastics.

Yes I've worn out a ballscrew, it took 3 yrs and yes it payed for it's self meny times.
    splendid .... i can live with that, i give mine an injection of grease now and again and they are pretty clean most of the time :whistling: if i cant make em pay in three years ill go back to wiping backsides for a living :)

Hello all

Well the day started of well and it was nice to see Jonathan again
    I hope you liked your Hand made card and bits.

I have got a lot of bits sorted out to day BUT as always one step forward and five step's back.

My latest problem is this my gantry is 1003mm wide and with a ballscrew of 1000mm in length all look's fine on paper until you add a the belt pulley that is.

I bought the ballscrew with a standard length on the stepper end of 12mm and need 25mm.

disaster disaster two options open to me well three really

Fuck it and sell the lot

buy a new ballscrew with the correct matched machined end or make it fit.

the way I feel at the moment I could just sell the lot or just throw it away

who need this crap anyway

Sorry Just venting because I'm mad at my self and the wife has been on my case

James:cry::cry::cry:

Lengthen the screw is not that hard if you access to lathe. Dose the nut travel the whole length of the screw? I bought a shorter screw to save a few quid and did just that. So don't panic mister mannering.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

I got mine all machined to 25mm.

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Lengthen the screw is not that hard if you access to lathe.
    That'll be my lathe then.

I've done that before to add a handle to lathe leadscrew - drilled & reamed a hole in the end then machined a bar to fit. Put a straight knurl on the bar to make it grip, loctite and big hammer to 'press fit' it. Start by machining the bar slightly oversize, then after put the ballscrew in lathe, get it on centre and skim the bar the right size so that it is on centre.

Can't the whole screw be moved along and the bearing mount on the non driven end be moved?

Your almost right Jonathan? The screw is very hard and can easily crack (only the centre is soft). If this is added to the floating end then no need to knurl it, just go for a nice tight slide fit and let the loctite do it's job.

Jonathan,
    I cant see how the nut will travel the whole length of the screw either. I think your idea of moving the "pulley" end bearing a bit further in towards the floating end and you can machine the plain section down for him to accept the pulley. I dont think lengthening the shaft would be agood idea particularly if you are going to fit a pulley on the lengthened section. Without some kind of support this will start to wear and wobble.

Ian

You wouldn't fit the pulley on the lengthened end? you would put it on the machines end end keep the nut housing to the side closest the belt end. That is how i have my arrangement and it allowed me to add a 90mm extension to the screw.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information