. .
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    I would really Like to thank Jonathan for today I really enjoyed my self cheers mate( I hope you don't mind a old git like me saying MATE) BUT YOU REALLY HAVE A FRIEND FOR LIFE.

The postman dropped of a big big doughnut today but no supported rails or ballscrews (bastard)

I will post some video and photos when I've worked it out

James & Luke

well I've got around to doing the video from Saturday cutting of the Gantry

so here it is (this is my first ever video posting)

oops I have to load it to youtube first

and some photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1154.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	4516

Name:	IMGP1165.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	4518

Name:	IMGP1151.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	4519

Name:	IMGP1157.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	4517

Jonathan I didn't get a finished photo so maybe you could post some??

sweet I cant believe I got it right FIRST TIME:whistling::whistling:

James and Luke:heehee::heehee:

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    Jonathan I didn't get a finished photo so maybe you could post some??
    Here it is, along with the rest of the bits I've just done:

Name:	DSC08509 (Large).JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	4520

Name:	DSC08508 (Large).JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	4521

Name:	DSC08507 (Large).JPG 
Views:	353 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	4522

All done with single flute carbide cutter and 1mm DOC. The first part at 540mm/min and the rest at 600mm/min. Due to the aluminium bar not being flat (even though it's called flat bar!) the cutter on the first pass went up to about 2mm depth of cut at the same feedrate. It was still perfectly happy at that, though a little more noisy. The line on the edge of the first of them was caused by a chip in the cutter. For the rest I was going to use a new cutter, but due to negligence on my part (putting a screw where it was going to cut) it got smashed so I put the original cutter in, and for no apparent reason the machine decided to go and machine a different screw which subsequently melted with lots of red sparks! Hopefully I can regrind that one into something useful as only the last 5mm or so is bad. After that I put the last one I have in which I have reground by hand twice, so the above parts are done with that. Quite pleased that it has still attained a nice finish.

P.S. Is it just me or is the aspect ratio wrong on your video?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    All done with single flute carbide cutter and 1mm DOC. The first part at 540mm/min and the rest at 600mm/min. Due to the aluminium bar not being flat (even though it's called flat bar!) the cutter on the first pass went up to about 2mm depth of cut at the same feedrate. It was still perfectly happy at that, though a little more noisy.
    Nice job there mate(Jonathan), bet luke's getting well excited not to mention Dad. :heehee:

Here's what I cut @ with Ali.

Using a 10mm single flute HSS/Cobalt, (mainly because thats the only size I have with 19mm flutes, other wise normally 6mm) I cut full slot @3mmDOC(33%-Dia) 1000-1200mm/min, 7-10,000rpm depending how happy she's sounds.
    If side cutting 0.25-Dia Step, DOC 75%-Dia, similiar feeds/speeds or slightly higher depending how it cutts. Always adjusting feed over-ride on how it sounds or cutts.

Blown air for cooling and chip clearence with the odd squirt of cutting fluid if sticky Ali or hard spots. (Messy as hell with flying chips but no nasty lumps on surface from re-cut and cutters last much longer.)

Then finish with 0.2 full depth finish pass @ 800mm/min 10,000rpm.

Makes me laugh to think that when I first started used to cut 0.3-0.5 max and if really brave I pushed it upto 0.75mm at a scary 500mm/min. . . It was mostly the noise that scared me and I soon found out that I was actually scratching it away rather than cutting and the cutters actually performed better and lasted longer when pushed harder or more to the point at or nearer to there intended chipload's. . . . Much less heat.

Jonathan I think it's just you

all look's Ok to me

Those parts look really good big thank you see you Saturday I can't wait to start fitting parts to the CNC next Sunday

Luke has sprained his wrist and got it all strapped up (playing Rugby) we had to take him for a X-ray last night Bless him

well the computer is in the workshop and all working ok, how ever I spent all day trying to find a video controller driver as the one with my xp didn't load.It's a good job I have a toggle or what ever it's call

James

Jazz - are those feeds/speeds on your CNC router or milling machine?
    I'm using 12600rpm as that's what it sounded best at. I added a little cutting fluid into the slot every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    Luke has sprained his wrist and got it all strapped up (playing Rugby) we had to take him for a X-ray last night Bless him
    That's why I always did anything I could to avoid playing Rugby! Hope he gets better soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Jazz - are those feeds/speeds on your CNC router or milling machine?
    I'm using 12600rpm as that's what it sounded best at. I added a little cutting fluid into the slot every so often.
    On my CNC machine, I don't have a mill.

I used to cut squirting with Industrial WD40 type stuff called workmate 40(WM40. .:naughty:) that I have manufactured and sell in my day job.
    This was ok but has the negative affect (like you'll know) of making the chips stick and clog the slot rather than fly away. . . this has 2 negative affect's.(Other than fumes)
    1: The heat doesn't leave with the chip.
    2: The fluid heats because it's not flooded away so just sits there boiling.
    Both together heat the Ali so the chips are warm before the cutter actually cut's, on cheap Ali or if too hot can cause sticky bits or chips which weld them selfs onto cutters.

The best by far is blown air because it keeps all the slot clear and blows the chips away from in front of the cutters path. Thou like I say messy as hell with chips blown all over the place. . . . There's a 10feet perimeter round my machine that looks like it's rained glitter when doing big job's.:lol:

Tried using a mister but I couldn't breath so soon knocked that in the head.

At the minute I've just got 3 simple coolant nozzels connected to regulator pointed at the cutter blasting away all in it's path (Got big compressor)

When I get time(So never) I'm going to make Ali ring sandwich with 8 short directional squirt nozzles, 4 will be air, 4 coolant that fasten to the base of the spindle (Maybe put in some Led's for light as well) then with selonoid's control both with Mach3.
    Air will be constant but turned on off by Mach and coolant will squirt every so often just enough to stop sticking but not fume me out the shop like mister.

James: If you think rugby is bad for broken bones try MotoX, I've been in just about every A&E with either my son or me in the hot seat. .:lmao:

You've just described exactly all of the things I've tried (except mister, not tried that) and the same effects!
    I agree compressed air is great. So far I've done that just by holding the air gun close and following it which works reasonably well. The main problem is heat getting into the part I am machining - as soon as that gets hot say bye bye to the finish/cutter. Compressed air doesn't seem to be effective in that situation, you need liquid cooling. On the parts I just posted this wasn't an issue as they were cut from a 12"x3/4"x2000mm bar which nicely conducted the heat away.

One day I'll attach hoses for coolant and air...

It depends a lot on the grade of the aluminium...6061 is the best I've used so far.

Going to buy some more 6mm 1fl cutters now.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Completely agree agreesive flood coolant is best by far and my next SUPER HD MILL (For diy anyway) will have full "drown if you stand still" coolant and enough air to blow the knickers off a Nun at 50yards.:whistling:

The next best thing I've found for ALi is air but lots of it, don't need high pressure just plenty of volume. . . .This and playing with the chipload/RPM and I tend to find the happy medium.

Best alloy cut so far small amount 7075-T6 for some motor bike engine covers very expensive stuff and scrounged from a mate. . Wish I could get some more.!!

Worst stuff some really crappy 5 series that was like cutting string cheese. . . Night mare.

Anyway I'm off to watch F1 Grandprix on Iplayer been away MotoX-ing all day so missed it. . . . . Don't even think of telling me who won because I'm not returning after posting this. .:rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Completely agree agreesive flood coolant is best by far and my next SUPER HD MILL (For diy anyway) will have full "drown if you stand still" coolant and enough air to blow the knickers off a Nun at 50yards.:whistling:
    LOL

I think the extrusion you've mounted the ballscrew and rail for X on is 45mm tall? The centre height of the BK/BF block on ballscrew is 25mm, you've said 30mm for the ballnut blocks and the SBR25 rails are 60mm total height. So distance between mounting plate for linear bearings and ballnut block is 30+25+45+60=160mm. That makes the distance between hole centers, with 3/4" thick aluminium 160+19.05=179.05mm. Call it 179mm...
    The distance between the mounting holes for linear bearings and ballnut mount plate on the gantry sides I just made is 180mm, shall I make the ballnut blocks 31mm centre height to compensate? I know the sides are slotted so it would still work, but still nicer to have it correct to start with?

Edit: reading that again makes me think it's probably negligible

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information