. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Blimey, you're brave

OTOH maybe you are cutting cheese or these are in stub length :naughty:
    PCBs ... so more like cheese on toast.
    I've used 0.8mm on the router with aluminium - it didn't break!

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    what about plunge cuts of flat bottom hole ??
    Using a spiral toolpath works well for that.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 14-08-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    what about plunge cuts of flat bottom hole ??

James
    as has been mentioned before, you will end up with a small dome in the center. These cutters plunge much easier than two flute cutters.

My 6mm single flute is actually 5.95mm. With the right data the cutting is very accurate.

I used 1mm two flute cutters in the past on aluminium and acrylic with very little success. But the single flute 1mm cutter did a fine job and is still in one piece after about 3 hours work in aluminium.

I accidently chipped one of the single flute cutters, but it turns out they are easy to regrind ... works just as well as new now. I was thinking I should buy some more in case these break... but it looks like they're immortal.

Just tried the same cutter on plywood, 14000rpm, 2800mm/min (so quite a high chipload) with 4mm depth of cut on spiral toolpaths. The cutter was quiet, left a good finish on the sides (but ripped the top not surprisingly) and did not heat up much so I'm sure it will go faster!

I did I video which I'll upload at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by packmansdaddy View Post
    as has been mentioned before, you will end up with a small dome in the center.
    Strictly speaking they leave a small right circular cone in the center.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 22-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Strictly speaking they leave a small right circular cone in the center.
    thats a dome to amyone with eyes over 30

I accidently chipped one of the single flute cutters, but it turns out they are easy to regrind
    now then..... i hadnt thought about that :) i need to dig to the bottom of my tool tray and start doing some grinding

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    now then..... i hadnt thought about that :) i need to dig to the bottom of my tool tray and start doing some grinding
    Hmm, if I hadn't said that I could have got myself a load of broken tools to regrind :lol:

hahahaha!!!! you dirty rotter !!!

i have this habit of collecting shit with the feeling that one day it will all make sense, there should be a medical term for it

at my age now i have a magic box of shit and whenever i need a stange item or a thingymibob i have a root in my magic box and nine times out of ten i find just the thing :)

In the past I used two flute HSS and carbide cutters for my aluminium work. On my Syil X4 usually I did cut 2mm deep at between 5 to 8"/min (120 to 200mm/min).
    With these single flute carbide cutters I can now cut 6mm (1/4") deep in one go. On my bigger X6 I can cut 1/2" in one go @ 100mm/min (4"/min). Plunging is a breeze.

Now, with these single flute carbide cutters I can cut much more efficient. And on my home made router I can now take 3mm (1/8") deep cuts in aluminium without problems. No more melting of acrylic either and 16mm cuts in MDF are a breeze... .
    I uploaded two video's to YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re0IDJ8tzWw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC0rNbW9oV4

Compare these to a video I made some months ago and you will see why I am so happy. To add to the fun is the price of these single flute cutters. Cheap as chips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2CHb...eature=related

Originally I made these video's for my machine supplier, personally I have no connection to Syil or to Titan. i also have a Sieg KX3 (excellent small mill) and a 3'x3 1/2' table router I made myself as well as a 5'x12' Forfun router from China. Yep, I am an addict...

i tried to watch the first two video's but they are private ??

so I can't view them

James

9. You set the video to private and can not view it.

sorry for that, have no idea really about this "modern stuff" but managed to change it. Hope you enjoy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information