Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. #81
    Looks good, except for one thing. You have put the rails for the Z-axis on the Y carriage. It's much stronger if you have the bearing blocks for the Z-axis on that carriage (in addition to the bearings for Y). I mentioned it in post #23 and #60. Although having said that with the way you've orientated it it wont make too much difference.

    If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get those bits cut?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    Also, What kind of wiring do I need? This will be used for my Steppers, Spindle to VFD, and generally all the wiring.
    Erm, post #53. Same wire for steppers and spindle to VFD.

  2. What Steepers are you using? Shielded CY or SY wire is my best suggestion, as it really helps with reducing signal noise along the wiring.

    Michael

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    What Steepers are you using?
    3 Nm, Nema 24 according to post #46 (well, the picture).

    Since it's quite a small machine the cable length wont be too great, so 1mm^2 should be fine. Same is fine for the VFD-spindle.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Looks good, except for one thing. You have put the rails for the Z-axis on the Y carriage. It's much stronger if you have the bearing blocks for the Z-axis on that carriage (in addition to the bearings for Y). I mentioned it in post #23 and #60. Although having said that with the way you've orientated it it wont make too much difference.

    If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to get those bits cut?



    Erm, post #53. Same wire for steppers and spindle to VFD.
    Cost around 325 for the Aluminium and to get it cut perfectly, there are cheaper places but I was inpatient.

    Mounting the rails behind the spindle plate in my Eyes isn't correct.
    I don't know why it would be stronger and on our scale machines it may make no difference at all but I just prefer it that way.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	5199

    I know this drawing is unfair but I'm provin a point here.

    Also, Once apon a time, my college used to be the place people went for engineering apprentiships, While all the CNCs and most of the lathes are gone now. I managed to find about 40 brand new end mill bits in the sizes 6mm and 4mm. These fit perfectly into my Spindle and my tutors said i could have them :)

    And I'm going to buy a reel of single core wire between 1mm^2 and just use it for everything. I would go multicore for the steppers and drivers but I don't need a reel of it costing nearly 100 from Farnell and don't know where else to get cable.

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    Mounting the rails behind the spindle plate in my Eyes isn't correct.
    I don't know why it would be stronger and on our scale machines it may make no difference at all but I just prefer it that way.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	5199

    I know this drawing is unfair but I'm provin a point here.
    The scale doesn't mean it makes no difference, just a little less. With profile rails it would make a lot less difference as they are so much more rigid. Unless the Z-axis travel is very short it will make a difference.
    The reason why is most people start by mounting them like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearing location Z.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	5201
    So clearly there there is a large overhang = weak.

    However you've mounted it like this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2bearing location Z.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	5200

    Which is better than the previous, as at the bottom of the travel (where you'll use it most for thin materials i.e. cutting aluminium for which it is the most rigid). However further up you're relying on er... the spindle for rigidity instead of with the configuration I suggest the aluminium plate and rails.

    EDIT: Actually the second diagram is just the same as the first except instead of using aluminium plate to hold the spindle you're relying on the strength of the spindle itself.

    Chip did it like in the first drawing and unfortunately found out the hard way when he tried to cut aluminium. I started by drawing the same on my Z-axis (400mm travel), but fortunately someone pointed it out so I changed it.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2012 at 08:28 PM.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    Cost around 325 for the Aluminium and to get it cut perfectly, there are cheaper places but I was inpatient.
    Rather you than me...I'd have cut it for less on my router but it would have taken longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    And I'm going to buy a reel of single core wire between 1mm^2 and just use it for everything. I would go multicore for the steppers and drivers but I don't need a reel of it costing nearly 100 from Farnell and don't know where else to get cable.
    What length do you need for all the motors and the VFD to spindle?

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    And I'm going to buy a reel of single core wire between 1mm^2 and just use it for everything. I would go multicore for the steppers and drivers but I don't need a reel of it costing nearly 100 from Farnell and don't know where else to get cable.
    Here you go http://www.csecables.com/control-cab...trol-cable.asp buy just what you need.

    Edit: Better link http://www.csecables.com/acatalog/Fl...rol-Cable.html

    Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post

    Mounting the rails behind the spindle plate in my Eyes isn't correct.
    Well you need to go to Spec savers then. .:lol: . . Look closer and you'll figure out why.!! . . . It's quite obvious if you think about levers and lever length's.:question:

    The rails mounted on the front plate make a big difference when it come to reducing chatter.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 10-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I just thought 'it's gone down in price since I bought the 100m reel', then I tried pretending to buy 10m of 1.5mm^2 and they want 9.50+vat for postage...extortionate!! That makes it 2.21 per meter for 10m.

    Let me know how much you need as I'm happy to sell some of mine.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I just thought 'it's gone down in price since I bought the 100m reel', then I tried pretending to buy 10m of 1.5mm^2 and they want 9.50+vat for postage...extortionate!! That makes it 2.21 per meter for 10m.
    You can do what I do and tell them you're sending in your own courier, parcel to go about 4.50. . . . . Anyway how much do you think it would be to send heavy cabel via the post office.?

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You can do what I do and tell them you're sending in your own courier, parcel to go about 4.50. . . . . Anyway how much do you think it would be to send heavy cabel via the post office.?
    They let you do that? I often say that to eBay sellers, didn't occur to me to try it on a proper company.
    It's about 120 grams per meter, so can probably get 8m in 1kg for 3.15 2nd class. Or standard parcels is 4.41 for 2kg ... parcels2go probably less as they keep spamming me with emails about how cheap they are.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Aluminium box section
    By martin54 in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-10-2012, 01:13 AM
  2. First Aluminium cut
    By luke11cnc in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24-02-2012, 09:39 AM
  3. RFQ: Aluminium sculpture to be CNC'ed
    By dav in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2012, 04:37 PM
  4. Aluminium passivation - for aluminium to be used outside
    By CHudson in forum Metal Finishing Techniques
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
  5. MDF or Aluminium
    By rob_colby in forum Gantry/Router Machines & Building
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •