. .
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Somebody's not been reading the thread again :whistling:... he said that in post #11

That's me not reading page number this time :D
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by jcb121 View Post
    how is this for Z and y?
    I think you should go for the wider aluminium. It's annoying, but it won't hurt to have the Z axis a bit wider/stronger. It looks like you're using the same aluminium for Z... I'd make it stronger by putting the linear rails on the bit that moves up and down and the bearing blocks on the piece fixed to the gantry. That also saves a bit of aluminium/weight.

The stepper motor mounts have poor torsional stiffness...I'd either use bigger bar or plate or something.

Looks suspiciously like my spindle mount in the drawing :)

no snide remarks about it floating! :)
    Wingardium leviosa.

it was your spinde mount, I tweaked it a bit.

The steppers will be mounted properly, that is just there for show as I cba drawing a Mount.

I'll give a go Jon, but I'm destroyed at the moment.

I got a new Motorbike today, I was so excited I couldn't sleep last night. so I didn't.

I'll to the metal shop tomorrow and see if they can do me a deal on some properly sized alu.

good luck JCB

on the deal that is :)

James

I've found some 180x12x80cm for £20.

not an excellent price compared to alu wharehouse but i'm not going to pay shipping so it's worth it.

Jcb

how is your build going have you made your bed yet (I sound like your mother LOL)

James

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    Jcb

how is your build going have you made your bed yet (I sound like your mother LOL)

James
    it's going ok, My mother bought me a new 125 on monday. It's an RG125 1994, by tuesday, it's broken.

so I have to split the engine, new gaskets and seals etc.

I'm going on holiday on the 13th and I'm waiting for my stuff from my man in japan (I wish japan!)

I'll probably start after my two week holdiday in newquay :)

it's going ok, My mother bought me a new 125 on monday. It's an RG125 1994, by tuesday, it's broken.

so I have to split the engine, new gaskets and seals etc.
    owch! i bet you were ringing its neck in first gear... buy some extra seals and rings... it'll need doing again by wednesday :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    owch! i bet you were ringing its neck in first gear... buy some extra seals and rings... it'll need doing again by wednesday :rofl:
    I had to but i didn't in first! there was no power in the bike at all! if anything they were riding it with popped seals.

I also discovered that the piston hit one of the powervalves! so they are screwed and they cost £130 each!

[QUOTE=jcb121;23237]I had to but i didn't in first! there was no power in the bike at all! if anything they were riding it with popped seals.
    QUOTE]
    allways a risk when buying a second hand two stoke... especialy an RG:naughty:

£130!!! times have changed :confused: highly strung two strokes are murder for self distructing in first and second... i managed to melt an RD400 three times in the space of 500 miles(way back in the day when pistons and rings where cheap and power valves hadnt been invented)
    if you let the motor reach its rev limit in first and second (ish) because of the low speed ergo low wind resistance and drag, the whole drive train goes slack and im pretty sure any lash in the motor causes enough vibration for the piston skirts start slapping against the liners, a bit chips off the skirt causing an imbalance causing more slapping and it quickly cascades into a disaster

over reving is much less important at 30mph (ish) and above as the wind resistance keeps the drive train nice and taught

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information