. .
    Hi.

I started with electrical engineering at university and spent all my working life in electronics.

I acquired my first lathe about 40 years ago while restoring a vintage car. When I retired I sold the cars and moved to France but I couldn't sell the lathe so I went down in scale to model engineering.

I have no experience of CNC but have decided it's time to combine my electronic and computer knowledge with the machine shop so I intend to have a go at converting an X1 or X" mill to cnc. I'm looking forward to getting some good advice here.

Russell.

Hi Russell, just a thought but there was a very helpfull short series in Model Engineers Workshop. I dont remember the precise issues but I am sure it was last year by Dick somebody. It would at least be of use for sourcing etc. Perhaps a call to the MEW/ME office will reveal all.
    All the best
    Tony G

The X1 is quite good for model engineering, especially if you get the long table.
    I did mine using 12mm ball screws which were a tight fit!
    Mind you if the KX1 was around I would have bought that and saved a lot of headaches!
    Any questions just ask! All friendly on here!

peter

I'm now thinking more along the lines of a Super X2 from Arc Euro. Shipping to France might be expensive but it looks to be much more substantial than the X1 variants. Where do you get 12mm ball screws? The smallest I've seen are 16mm. I might start with the existing acme and make my own anti-backlash nuts but will need a ballscrew for the Z axis.

I bought a cheap 4-way driver and steppers off Fleabay before finding this site and reading the comments here. It seems to work OK with Mach 3 and EMC2 so fingers crossed. I'll put the driver in a box with a b....y great fan.

Thanks for your comments,
    Russell.

Hi
    RS do them but a bit pricey!
    http://asiaexport.rs-online.com/web/4812677.html
    on the spec sheet it says you can have wipers!

Peter

Thanks Peter,
    Just checked "Radiospares" in France ( haven't heard them called that for years) and they have them at €64 but they don't specify the length of the screw! I'll have to email them.

Russell.

Thread Information