. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So, I'm in need of a spindle holder or two,

would it be possible for one of you to make one or two for me?

the spindle is 80mm in diameter so it should be simple to make.

I can buy the alu needed and pay postage both ways,

All I will need of you is your time, machine and your skills.

Thanks.

Me again...

I've made a few 80mm spindle mounts (only one picture shows finished mount):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07628 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	5305 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	4293

Name:	DSC07627 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	976 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	4294

Name:	80mm spindle mount2.jpg 
Views:	2356 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	4295

Name:	DSC08036 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	1230 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	4296

The drawing is just an example - if you want a different size or to draw your own that's fine. I have got aluminium in stock to do up to 150mm wide and 1/2" thick, or 5/8" thick and 125mm wide.

If you're interested send me a PM or make me an offer...

Jonathan,

Do you think that mount is strong enough? it looks to be very thin near the clamping bolt (If my maths is right, 4.7mm) and you have a sharp internal corner at this point too. With this stress concentration and the cyclical loading that a spindle typically gets, I wouldn't expect it to be too long before a crack appears.

Yes I thought that looked like a weak point when I'd made it. Once it's clamped on to the spindle it can't bend, so fatigue shouldn't be an issue. It seems perfectly solid.
    That's why on the next version (last photo) I rounded off that corner and moved it further from the spindle to make it stronger. Changing the drawing is not a problem.

If it breaks naturally I would replace it free of charge.

Jonathan,
    have you been copying my design ?
    Only kidding. Mine is very similar, basically the same shape but without the rounded off corners seeing as I made it on the milling machine then lathed out the inside.
    I have just cut two more alu plates today at work and I am going to make two more spindle mounts and see if I can get two identical mounts that are a better fit for the spindle than the last one I made.
    My original plan was to make two as my first job for the cnc machine but I am still having problems trying to get USBCNC to work properly and also my workshop pc died earlier tonight. At least the weather was nice today!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Jonathan,
    have you been copying my design ?
    Not seen yours...

[QUOTE=Web Goblin;23056] Mine is very similar, basically the same shape but without the rounded off corners seeing as I made it on the milling machine then lathed out the inside.

I have just cut two more alu plates today at work and I am going to make two more spindle mounts and see if I can get two identical mounts that are a better fit for the spindle than the last one I made.
    I see, same as the one I made with my CNC router then bored on the lathe...last photo in post #2 shows it before boring.

Jonathan,
    I would have loved to make them on the router, that way they would have been identical. Why didnt you mill out the inside completely on the router?

Ian

I did them on my router as it's far quicker than the milling machine. I left small (1mm thick) tabs so that the middle bit didn't go walkies on the final pass. Boring the hole is more accurate (by accurate I mean it's closer to a circle, and better finish) than milling it.

I see. Are the jaws on your 4 jaw chuck long enough to hold both pieces at the same time or did you do them seperately? I wanted to do both at the same time but my jaws arent long enough to hold two bits of 20mm alu. My plan after milling them was to cut the inside out with a 70mm hole saw then bore them on the lathe.

Ian

I see. Are the jaws on your 4 jaw chuck long enough to hold both pieces at the same time or did you do them seperately?
    The jaws on my chuck a long enough to hold a few mounts... I thought the same to start with then realised it wasn't going to hold them securely enough due to the uneven clamping pressure. I think when you tighten the chuck up it grabs the one nearest the face of the chuck (since that's closest to where the scroll applies the force) which causes the jaws to be at a slight angle and therefore not put much force on the next part out. It would have held both with the chuck done up pretty tight ... but that would make 4 horrible marks on the part from the jaws, and I doubt it would actually be any more accurate than doing them separately as long as your centre mark is good.

To make things quicker (for the spindle mount pictured fixed to the spindle) I made it so around the 80mm hole there is a 100mm square. That enabled me to put it straight into the 200mm 4-jaw self centring chuck (the main one I use on the lathe). I used the normal jaws as the external jaws would get in the way of the boring bar.

On a related topic ... I wonder how many tram the spindle on their CNC router? I've had to do it with mine as aluminium highlights the error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information