. .

Thread: Hallo from Kent

Hi folks.

I'm Pete, and as it says above I'm from down here in North Kent. I'm just doing some groundwork before embarking on my first CNC machine build. I have a modest 1980's manual lathe and a small but sturdy 1952 milling machine and I usually use these to make odd parts for motorbikes - usually for beers (even though I hardly drink at all).

I want to build myself a sturdy vertical milling machine with probably a 3Kw spindle motor and greater capacity than my Herbert mill (12"x, 6"y) - something akin to this - in fact I already have the column, but before I get into spending too much money I think I will build a smaller machine, just to 'learn the ropes' so to speak.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of gantry machines, so I think I will either build myself a small upright mill or maybe a lightweight lathe.

Wish me luck - and prepare for some questions!

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Hi folks.

I'm Pete, and as it says above I'm from down here in North Kent. I'm just doing some groundwork before embarking on my first CNC machine build. I have a modest 1980's manual lathe and a small but sturdy 1952 milling machine and I usually use these to make odd parts for motorbikes - usually for beers (even though I hardly drink at all).

I want to build myself a sturdy vertical milling machine with probably a 3Kw spindle motor and greater capacity than my Herbert mill (12"x, 6"y) - something akin to this - in fact I already have the column, but before I get into spending too much money I think I will build a smaller machine, just to 'learn the ropes' so to speak.

I'm not a great fan of the idea of gantry machines, so I think I will either build myself a small upright mill or maybe a lightweight lathe.

Wish me luck - and prepare for some questions!

Pete.
    Welcome to you Peter., If you have come to learn how to build your mill, then i think you have come to the right place, there are years of knowlege on this site, in the time ive been a member they have shown me so much i feel humbled.

So Good luck on your Journey and i hope you enjoy the ride.

Rick (Also from Kent)
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Thanks Rick!

I like your boxford conversion. Haven't had time to real through the whole thread but I will do soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Thanks Rick!

I like your boxford conversion. Haven't had time to real through the whole thread but I will do soon!
    Thank you, thats what its there for...
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Thread Information