. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    :naughty: Ok Im looking to buy another mill to convert, Ive decided my Boxford 260 vmc is almost ready to go.

Im looking for one similar to the picture below, New OR Second Hand, if you know of any similar mills on the net. please post the link, or if you have one let me know..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMA25LV.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	4329

Im looking for Cross travel: > 150mm & Longitudinal travel: > 420mm
    I would like an R8 taper (but would consider others) as I will be converting to ATC.

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

OK here is the pricing i Have so far...
    The picture above is from SPG Tools
    http://spgtools.com/

SPG 2217-lll LV Milling/Drilling MachinePrice:
    £760.00 (UK Delivery £50.00)

so can anybody find better for the money....

I really do need some opinions with this..... please...:idea:
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    out of those, spg 2217-30 or spg 9525. Preferably the 9525, but i still worry about the depth of the pillar and its strength.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    out of those, spg 2217-30 or spg 9525. Preferably the 9525, but i still worry about the depth of the pillar and its strength.
    I'm not sure about the pillar either, so I'm looking for peoples experiences with this type of mill and so far Ive looked at 2217-30 that has the bigger motor and drilling and end milling capability than the 2217-III LV,and HOSS from CNCzone has done a conversion of the Grizzley G0704 (Equiv To 2217-III LV) and that shows some of the limitations and fixes of that model, and Ive heard the 9525 trashes the motor controller and gearbox very easily but it does have a better X-Y i think., they both have the common plastic gears.. so im hoping people will put their thoughts in on these and indeed other models of this type..

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    i'd remove the gearbox anyway and drive via toothed belts

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    i'd remove the gearbox anyway and drive via toothed belts
    Others have done this and the guides are out there so this is 1 fix to a common problem, but as with most projects you never seem to see any real machining from these mills once the cnc conv is done so it is very difficult to asses our pillar worries or even the real success of the conversions.

I've not seen the machine in the flesh, but it maybe possible to "beef up" the pillar.

Well as i said there is a shed load of pictures on this site and the complete SPG 2217 (well its equiv anyhow) CNC Conversion...
    http://www.g0704.com/index.html

It really is a very entertaining and detailed conversion. I suspect i will do the same on here as soon as i make the decision.

without looking fully through the pics, there isn't a lot of metal where the pillar connects to the base. I would look at adding another base below the original that extended behind the pillar, and add support plates either side of the pillar from the extended base.

Maybe even making a thick plate full length shroud around the pillar that could be fixed to the extended base.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information