. .
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Bruce,

Yes if you would please. Though I will be honest I will still go with a local VFD which for me saves the cost of keeping the back up in house currently.

Saving up for that is okay. Thanks for mentioning Collet size Jonathan as that is probably the best reason to move up from the 1.5Kw unit even though I really don't need that much more power. Seven millimeters is just not big enough by one millimeter to do the range of tools that I have reason to use.

Today more set up an prep work in shop and business work. Long day today.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post

Thanks for mentioning Collet size Jonathan as that is probably the best reason to move up from the 1.5Kw unit even though I really don't need that much more power. Seven millimeters is just not big enough by one millimeter to do the range of tools that I have reason to use.
    Not that I want to change your decision, but the collets on the 1.5kW are ER16 which goes up to 10mm:

http://www.rego-fix.ch/eng/katalog/ti/ti_fs.htm

(I think you were looking at ER11 which is up to 7mm)
    For most people over 10mm is critical as it means you can use 1/2" router cutters.

Remember that the available power output from the spindle is roughly proportional to the spindle speed, so if you're starting with 2.2kW instead of 1.5kW you have more power at lower speeds. So saying 1.5kW is more than you'll ever need I think is not quite true as it doesn't take into account this power reduction.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 10-01-2012 at 11:53 AM.

3. Jonathan,

ALL the 1.5kW water cooled spindles I have looked at are ER11, now if you know of one that is ER16 great please post the link for it.

Jonathan,

ALL the 1.5kW water cooled spindles I have looked at are ER11, now if you know of one that is ER16 great please post the link for it.
    Fair enough the only ER16 1.5kW are air cooled and you don't want that. To be honest I'd never bothered looking before as I didn't consider it.

5. Well the wiring that I ordered is here (limit switches and lighter then what you have Jonathan as don't need that heavy for the limit/Home switches). Jazz showed me a few web sites that have some really nice stuff that will really help with product once I can afford them. Most likely going to put a smoothstepper in front of getting the water cooled spindle as that just means keeping an eye on the brushes of the Kress and using the Ear plugs I use already for a bit longer.

Right now it is getting down to the end bits and bobs that are needed to get things finished. Hope everyone is doing well.

Michael

edited to correct spelling
    Last edited by m.marino; 15-01-2012 at 10:31 PM.

I think you should definitely prioritise the spindle over the smooth-stepper. Since it's only quite a small machine you'll be able to run it perfectly well from the parallel port, so I doubt the smooth stepper will make much difference. Compare that to the spindle which directly affects the machine's ability to cut accurately and efficiently.

I'd like a smooth stepper too (as mine is bigger), but I'm not bothered when really as the machine runs perfectly well. It should just be a little more stable with one. Just going to wait for one to come up cheap...or make my own version. Whichever comes first.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Jonathan, do you even know what Michael makes with his machine?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't need 2.2kw to machine what he does, and I'd even say the kress has far more power than what's needed. I'll agree a water cooled spindle will be better for noise reduction, but I wouldn't say it's a priority.

As for the smoothstepper, if you do get one, the ethernet SS is very near production, and is reported to be far more stable than the USB version.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Jonathan, do you even know what Michael makes with his machine?
    Yes I do know - spent some time discussing quite a lot about this and the machine over Skype, but not going to say here as that's up to Michael. I gather what he is making requires high accuracy. It's also generally small tools, so I guess the cutting noise wont be much which makes getting a quieter spindle sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't need 2.2kw to machine what he does, and I'd even say the kress has far more power than what's needed.
    Yes if you actually got 2.2kW from the spindle - see what I put in post #102. Similarly if the Kress had far more power than needed Michael wouldn't have considered getting a Super-PID.
    More importantly he needs the bigger collets that the 2.2kW spindle offers, so the only spindle to get is the 2.2kW water cooled (as air is too noisy and bad at low speed).

9. Jonathan,

I would prefer to have the 8 mm that a ER16 allows an ER20 is overkill for me. While I will be working with some metals in the future that is a bit down the road and I primarily work with plastics that need a high finish. With the machine as it is I will easily be able to do that with out a big problem with the Kress as the position I was in with the old machine was the machines in ability to be any where as near as accurate as I needed.

m_c,

thanks for the heads up on the smoothstepper and I will be waiting whether I wanted to or not as have too much to get done that requires funds going other places. The good news is that will be generating income and with the new machine should have a very nice return. Which will go part in the bills to live, part into paying more materials to meet orders and parts to be saved up for upgrades as possible.

Hope every one is doing well and m_c; once I have it up here from Jazz, drop me a message and we can see about that project you need cut.

Michael

Hope every one is doing well and m_c; once I have it up here from Jazz,
    Thou M/C don't hold your breath because the B'#*?ard is fighting back and has started taking root . . :rofl:

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information