. .
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Well,

First cuts being the surfacing of the bed. Here's the link folks: http://youtu.be/bxH6B8lXTjw
    Hope you enjoy and once get cutting parts will get that up as well. The limit switches arrived today are are a good bit smaller than I thought they would be. Though as long as they work and do what was said they would do we are good to go the next stage and get things set up for the tool change and probe sections.

Michael

Ah what a lovely sound of tooth on wood. Nice one Michael.

bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

3. Well the work bed is drill the inserts put into the sub bed and work bed bolted down. I will be making the g-code for the brackets to hold the homing switches and sourcing some copper plate for tool changer and Zero setting probe. Also need to set up the wiring for that and get things moving on. Will post pictures and links to the cutting later tonight. Been a long 12.5 hour day in the shop or office and not done yet, but getting progress and working well.

Also been working with the tuning of the motors and that has solved a few issues. It hums nicely now and no jerkiness with movement or making pockets. It feels real good to get this far and be at the point where cutting product is within sight.

Michael

4. Folks video of it cutting:http://youtu.be/dDnCwK3TLkc and here: http://youtu.be/T7EW02Mux_Q and here: http://youtu.be/wO1KkYz9oOU

Hope you folks enjoy. Will be getting a new 2mm acrylic end mill as one broke in the cutting of this project ( piece was able to get free and bind the endmill.

Will keep folks posted as thing continue.

Michael

5. Well a small but important update.

Home and limit switches cut and installed. Tuning of the motors now within needed tolerances (.02mm or less, repeatable), going to be tramming the spindle tomorrow as that needs to be done for doing large surface cutting. Then it is time to cut and cut and cut. I might not be on often for a week or two as I get all the cutting done, but will try to post some more video.

Again thanks to all the folks that helped with this.

Michael

Looking good Michael :wave:

Thanks for the vids and look forward to seeing the cuts later on !

.Me
    .Me

7. Well some lessons that have been learned on this build:

1) It always takes twice as long as you think it will to get it done and done right.
    2) Design the Machine at least three times and expect to do more.
    3) Ask for critical reviews of what you are doing and keep notes.
    4) Write down what you plan on doing with the machine and over build by 20- 50% (trust me on that one)
    5) Account for wiring pathways when designing (IF you don't, it will bite you).
    6) Account for lubrication points (See above, only worse)
    7) Account for maintenance work on the machine (being able to take it a part and put it accurately back together is important)
    8) Plan for upgrades and what they will be and why (few of us can afford high end equipment from the very start).
    9) Be willing to learn (that means knowing when you don't really know something and finding some one who does).
    10) Remember these machines are wonderful tools that will seriously mess you up if not careful.

That is what I have learned so far from the First machine (a bought unit) and this build with JAZZ. I am currently seriously busy with clients work and business projects so might not be on much but will do as able and will try to keep folks up to date with how this build is performing.

Michael

Being new too the forum I haven't been following the build but just sat & read through from the start. Very interesting read & a bit of an eye opener to someone who really knows nothing about designing or building a machine.
    Good to see the conclusion as well & to know it is doing the job it was built to do. Hopefully Michael will have time in the future to update this thread as the machine develops further but customers have to come first lol.

Location unknown. TrickyCNC Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    Well,

First cuts being the surfacing of the bed. Here's the link folks: CNC First cuts surfacing - YouTube
    Hope you enjoy and once get cutting parts will get that up as well. The limit switches arrived today are are a good bit smaller than I thought they would be. Though as long as they work and do what was said they would do we are good to go the next stage and get things set up for the tool change and probe sections.

Michael
    Hi Micheal,
    is that 2.5M per minute ? it looks slower in the vid ?
    I'm used to working in inches, so I might be missing something in the translation.

Rich

10. Yep,

That was 2.5 m/min, though at that time I was only using about 500 mm/sec^2 acceleration. That and surfacing 850 mm by 350 mm does take a bit of time even at that speed I will be cutting some combs tomorrow and should be able to show what 1.8 m/min looks like in a small area. The difference being 1250 mm/sec^2 acceleration and using much higher quality electronic control hardware.

As it is need to be looking into a better swarf shield then what I am currently using or a way to improve it. The plastic sheeting I am using for the curtain is curling in at the bottom and opening gaps.

Michael.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread Information