. .
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Slight interruption as the newest child arrived very early Saturday morning.

2. Folks,

Looking at cost and speaking to a few of you folks. I would like your opinions of this solution to the current problem with kit router I have from Marchant dice until I can get the budget back on track to build the slightly larger and more useful unit. This is just Y and Z axi' pieces and the Z is not complete as the rails will be part of an outer "box" section that will come from the rails and screw in back with the stepper mounted directly on top with a plate at top and bottom of rails going to the front where another plate will vertically connect them to give the face for the spindle mount.

Here is what I have drawn and will hopefully have more tomorrow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y and Z upgarde budget v2.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	4642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Y and Z upgarde back v2.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	4643

Thanks for all responses. I still plan to build the larger unit and will definitely be using a lot of the wonder ideas from Jonathan, Jazz, and others here.

For those who are interested Tomas is doing well and being a nice healthy baby boy.

Michael

Michael congratulations on the new addition well done mate

It's a boy

James

wait until you get shopping bags under the eye's LOL

4. Well,

Thomas is settling in just fine and I have been working on the model like a mad man to try to get things done and production back on line. As such you will find attached three jpegs that show the current design with leadscrews and anti-backlash nuts from DumpsterCNC. Stepper motors are not mounted nor are their mounts in the X or Y axis. Not all bolt holes have been put in yet for take apart for piece generation but getting there.

The 1st (a) is the full model minus the above and the gears and belt for Z; 2nd (b) is with table plate removed and Spindle plate of Z removed; 3rd (c) is with the close leg ofthe Gantry removed & the under plate of the Y/Z section. The extrusion you see I already own and they are simply migrating from the old machine to the new. I have not finished the holes for the Bearsing as of yet even though their models are in place, excluding the exterior bearing forthe Y axis (still debating whether to go that route or stick with just the one, leaning heavily on adding the second bearing).

Well with all that said, please constructive opinions please.

I do have to give thanks to Jonathan for a lot of input and also Jazz for some very usefull ideas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry for Wee Beastiev5a.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	4736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry for Wee Beastiev5b.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	4738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry for Wee Beastiev5c.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	4737

Again thanks for all the knowledge and support in this I have received.

Michael

Michael but if I've read your post's right to are going to have a X-axis between 750 cm to 1500 cm on a unsupported rail

I would think you are asking for trouble??

I am no expert and have not completed a machine yet but I know how little force is required to bend ( make the ball screw arc) and your asking it to support around 25kg with out any movement

sorry but I think you will have to rethink it

James

6. James this is the rebuild of the current machine and if it was that long you would be completely correct. That rail is only 500mm of 20mm dia. So should support it over the 250mm of travel it has.

Thanks for the input though and the build from ground up is still in progress.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by luke11cnc View Post
    Michael but if I've read your post's right to are going to have a X-axis between 750 cm to 1500 cm on a unsupported rail

I would think you are asking for trouble??
    He is asking for trouble using unsupported rails. Apparently a future upgrade will be the rail and changing to ballscrews when there is more time.

sorry I put a extra 0 in my post even so I would buy supported rails or even bearings on a length of steel like the FA100 Machine I think that's the right machine if cost is a issue

worth a look Michael

James

Michael knowing the tolerences you want to work too then even at this length the unsupported rails will make that nigh on impossible.

With a machine this small the little extra cost for frame material and supported rails would be worth every penny.!!. . . . Dont dont it mate.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 11-10-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Michael knowing the tolerences you want to work too then even at this length the unsupported rails will make that nigh on impossible.

With a machine this small the little extra cost for frame material and unsupported rails would be worth every penny.!!. . . . Dont dont it mate.!
    I'd forgotten the required tolerances were very very tight ... so I couldn't agree more.

You've gone for profile rails on Y/Z, which couldn't be better, then used the worst option (disregarding silly things like aluminium angle+bearings) for X which is the main support.
    Just make the bed a little wider and you can fit some nice profile/supported rails underneath with the added bonus of them not getting covered in swarf.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-10-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information