. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. I need some advice.
    I've got 6" rotary table and I want to buy a chuck. I thought to buy 125mm one.
    Shall I buy 4 jaws or 3 jaws self centering ?? Or maybe independent jaws??
    Any help will be appreciated

I think I would get an independant 4 jaw. A little bit harder to setup but you will be able to do more with it, ie off centre work which could open up some interesting options for you.

Ian

3. Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    I think I would get an independant 4 jaw. A little bit harder to setup
    That what I'm worrying about.
    But what is a difference/application between self centering 4 and 3 jaw chuck?????

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    get both chucks

A 3 jaw chuck I think is better for a self centering chuck. It will grip a wider selection of materials like hex bar which you cant grip well on a 4 jaw.

Ian

6. Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    get both chucks
    I didn't say yet to my personal budget accountant I HAVE TO but one. When I say I need two this can mean starvation and sleeping with a dogs outside :heehee: . I replied to her today: Rotary table wasn't expensive 10 or 20 £, but I forgotten exactly how much I paid :rofl:

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    get both chucks
    Agreed...

You mentioned self centering 4 jaw. The advantage of it is 4 jaws clamp the stock more firmly than 3. For a given clamping force you will mark the part less with the jaws as less pressure per jaw. Not being able to hold hexagons is annoying as holding nuts in the chuck is a good quick way to hold a bolt without marking the thread ... but you're not going to want to do that in a mill.

I have a 4 jaw independent 100mm and 3 jaw (125mm) for the rotary table.
    Being able to centre a part in the 4 jaw chuck is not much of an advantage as you can tap the chuck into place on the rotary table.

A chuck with bolt holes in the front makes it a lot easier to mount.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    A chuck with bolt holes in the front makes it a lot easier to mount.
    That's mandatory
    I thought to buy from RDG http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/L...SOFT_JAWS.html are they any good?

9. The fact is my rotary table have 4 t-slots so it looks like 4 jaw chuck with 4 front mounting holes as well will be perfect couple

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You need to think about what you're planning on doing with the rotary table.
    A 3 Jaw self-centreing will be better if you'll be doing lots of round/hex bits, but a 4 jaw independant does give you more flexiblity, however it will mean you become very proficient in the use of a dial gauge! I've never used a 4 jaw self centreing chuck, but it could be a good compromise.

Personally, I've not got any jaw chucks for either of my rotabs, and I've never missed having one for what I do with them. Most of the bits I do get held via T-nuts, however, I do have an expanding mandrel holder that fits in the rotab taper which is very handy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information