. .
  1. Hi
    I've finally go back to building the hot wire cutter but I'm struggling to get the lead screws which are M10x1.5 thread rod connected to my stepper motors. I basically need to get one end turned down to 1/4" to match the motors. Does anyone know of anybody in the Rotherham area with a lathe that can do this. I don't mind paying for it as long as its reasonable

you could always look in the yellow pages

rckeith

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    you can buy couplers with different sized ends, if the ballscrew has a turned diameter already.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    you can buy couplers with different sized ends, if the ballscrew has a turned diameter already.
    Sounds like it's threaded rod not ballscrew. Either way I could do it, but I'm quite far away...could post it I suppose. Probably cheaper for me to buy the threaded rod (about £5/m for M10 stainless), machine it and post.

Normally I'd advise against threaded rod as the efficiency and accuracy is not great, unless you use the angled bearing as a nut method that I started off with. However I doubt it matters much for a foam cutter.

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    it does sound that way..

you could thread the coupler to suit the leadscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by i2i View Post
    you could thread the coupler to suit the leadscrew.
    True, but the thread needs to be nicely on centre...

Edit: Well, that depends on the coupling you use.

it will, all this depends on what he has available. It's easy for us with plenty of gear to suggest options.

Might be an idea to take a look down a nearby industrial estate for a machine shop to sort this.

Thread Information